Two questions - FFXI server setup

holidaycontrol

Two questions - FFXI server setup

Post by holidaycontrol » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:11 am

Good morning,

First off I just wanted to say thank you for the excellent guides you provided, it was quite detailed and made the setup very simple. I did have two questions however regarding the databases.

1 - is it possible to play the game as it was in 2003 with just the Rise of the Zilart expansion? I wanted to consider just having a server with only these jobs areas. I could then apply expansions later when the server is popular and people are leveled. Is this at all possible? Would this simply be just installing ROZ expansion only and not the others?

2 - I am very concerned about backing up the database for character information. I want to ensure if there's a failure of the server, computer, update, etc that I have various copies of the character databases on my server. What files/databases do I back up for this? In the guide, I noticed there is a script. Is this script to be run only after I complete a backup of the database for character data? (script listed below).

Thanks guys!

@ECHO OFF
REM =============================================================================
REM =============================================================================
REM ====== =========
REM ====== THis script will drop the DB specificed, then create the DB =========
REM ====== specified, and then load all .sql tables from its run dir to =========
REM ====== the the DB. =========
REM ====== =========
REM ====== File needs to be run from within the \dsp\sql folder (same =========
REM ====== folder with all the .sql files. Please edit as needed. By =========
REM ====== default it WILL DROP the standard dspdb DB, loosing all =========
REM ====== accounts and characters. If this is not desired, then update =========
REM ====== the file to load the new DB into a new DB name. =========
REM ====== =========
REM ====== Update -p with MySQL password. If you password is 'foo', =========
REM ====== then change '-pMYSQLPASS' to '-pfoo' (3 places). =========
REM ====== =========
REM ====== If you want to use a different database name, change 'dspdb' =========
REM ====== with a database name of your choosing. =========
REM ====== =========
REM ====== =========
REM ====== by Thrydwolf 9/8/2012 =========
REM ====== Updated with status by bluekirby0 3/30/2012 =========
REM ====== Updated by Thrydwolf 9/18/2012 =========
REM ====== =========

ECHO Creating Database dspdb
"c:\program files\mysql\mysql server 5.6\bin\mysqladmin"-h localhost -u root -pMYSQLPASS DROP dspdb

ECHO Creating Database dspdb
"c:\program files\mysql\mysql server 5.6\bin\mysqladmin"-h localhost -u root -pMYSQLPASS CREATE dspdb

ECHO Loading dspdb tables into the database
cd c:\darkstar\sql
FOR %%X IN (*.sql) DO ECHO Importing %%X & "c:\program files\mysql\mysql server 5.6\bin\mysql" dspdb -h localhost -u root -pMYSQLPASS < %%X

ECHO Finished!

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Two questions - FFXI server setup

Post by whasf » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm

That script will drop all the tables and re-import them from the .sql files. (Actually each SQL file does the drop first). You need to write a script to export the tables, and then save that export somewhere...
-- Whasf