Easy Install on Debian, Ubuntu & Raspbian

OO-Dragon

Easy Install on Debian, Ubuntu & Raspbian

Post by OO-Dragon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:16 pm

** Note: The Debian installer has been retired since a pure shell script just works better **

I have created a generic script to install Darkstar on Debian, Ubuntu 18.04 or Raspbian (both 32 & 64 bit).

The script automates as much as possible and you are only required to enter a username, password and IP address.

Installing Darkstar
1. Open a terminal on whichever OS you have chosen (Debian, Ubuntu or Raspbian)
2. Run the following command in the terminal

Code: Select all

wget -O darkstar_install_script.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DarkstarProject/darkstar/master/darkstar_install_script.sh && sudo bash darkstar_install_script.sh
If you need to change configurations, you can re-run the script above or manually edit the files located in /opt/darkstar/

I hope people find this useful. Please report bugs here or in the GitHub repository.
Last edited by OO-Dragon on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Magiknight

Re: Easy Install on Debian, Ubuntu & Raspbian (Deb installer)

Post by Magiknight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:39 pm

That is amazing. I could never get FFXI to work with anything debian based. I run arch and it runs fine as long as you use a special dll file for wine.

OO-Dragon

Re: Easy Install on Debian, Ubuntu & Raspbian (Deb installer)

Post by OO-Dragon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Magiknight wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:39 pm
That is amazing. I could never get FFXI to work with anything debian based. I run arch and it runs fine as long as you use a special dll file for wine.
It definitely took a while to figure everything out, and when I was done and had the server setup for my brother, I thought I would simplify the process as much as possible for others. Thus the Debian installer was born!

Hopefully, this will save many hours of frustration for people setting up a server.

OO-Dragon

Re: Easy Install on Debian, Ubuntu & Raspbian

Post by OO-Dragon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 pm

I fixed an issue where the installer would not work on Ubuntu Desktop (I was testing on the Server version).
If you tried before and it didn't work, it should be good to go now.

thespamcenter

Post by thespamcenter » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:51 pm

I was able to build my server with this sweet script with Stable, but I am running into the oddest thing, FOV books aren't working correctly. You can get a page, but if you kill a mob or kill the right # of mobs you don't get a notice in the console nor the xp. Was wondering if someone who used this guide was running into the same thing or not.

Straight out of the box, ran that script, logged into server and saw this. I then cleaned up the user, the db, and darkstar directory, ran the script again and saw the same thing again. Maybe I'm just crazy :(

edit: Okay I fixed it, not sure if all this helped or not, but everything is working now and I can see more debug messages in server logs.

Added packages luajit-5.1-dev, g++7
And then added these two commands in this section:

apt-get -y install libmariadb-dev-compat
         make distclean
        ./configure --enable-debug=gdb
        ./configure CXXFLAGS=" -pthread" || exit
 else

OO-Dragon

Post by OO-Dragon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:10 am

I'm curious, what Linux OS were you using for the server?
I'm more inclined to think that was a bug, and they fixed it between your tries, but I'm checking with a few people just in case.

OO-Dragon

Post by OO-Dragon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:26 am

I was able to verify that the following should have no impact on gameplay. So it was most likely a glitch that was fixed.

make distclean
./configure --enable-debug=gdb

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:19 am

Your easy install program has been a wonderful blessing. Just wondering how i would go about updating the server with certain commands? Dont wanna mess up my server and definately dont wanna start over from scratch. TIA :)

OO-Dragon

Post by OO-Dragon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:47 pm

The SQL changes between updates have not been reliably automated, so I was told to keep upgrading out of the install script.

That being said, someone often creates a few SQL scripts so you can update installs but I'm not familiar with it any more than that.

If you don't find any posts about 'Server Upgrades', I would start a new post for getting upgrade assistance.

Good luck!