Map Server and VM Clustering

arashikage

Map Server and VM Clustering

Post by arashikage » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 pm

I've been hearing bits and pieces about setting up a map server with the maps being clustered on a series of virtual machines. Could someone point me in the direction of any links or articles that could give more in-depth information on the subject?

Delaide

Re: Map Server and VM Clustering

Post by Delaide » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 pm

I recommend you hop on IRC and see if you can catch Whasf or Nasomi.

nasomi

Post by nasomi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 pm

If you specify a single ip and single port in zone_settings, then launch a single game server bound to that port it will run.

If you specify 5 ports based on zone type, then launch 5 game servers bound to 5 ports they will run one server per group.

If you specify a different port for every zone, and launch 285 zone servers, you'll have one server per zone.

There becomes serious limitations in windows and with concurrent connections to the sql server around 60-65 zones per vm. Splitting them up is effective. Then you just launch with ports.t he router takes care of forwarding ports to the ip's you specify.

LordOfTheDraculas

Post by LordOfTheDraculas » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 pm

How does one launch multiple game servers? What exactly does that entail?

ROAltana

Post by ROAltana » Fri May 19, 2017 4:36 am

Nasomi,

I'm doing this on my server, but I've noticed that you cannot perform some commands if a player is on a different cluster than you are. Example: to use @goto, both me and the player need to be in zones managed by the same server.

I assume this is because the game is only searching for entity objects within the same instance (GetCharByName() will return nullptr if player is on another game server).

Do you know how to make it search across all running programs?

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Fri May 19, 2017 8:11 am

ROAltana wrote:Nasomi,

I'm doing this on my server, but I've noticed that you cannot perform some commands if a player is on a different cluster than you are. Example: to use @goto, both me and the player need to be in zones managed by the same server.

I assume this is because the game is only searching for entity objects within the same instance (GetCharByName() will return nullptr if player is on another game server).

Do you know how to make it search across all running programs?
You are correct, someone needs to fix that! :)
-- Whasf

fallen45078

Post by fallen45078 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 pm

What about LS chat? it seems to break across multiple instances also.