New

Scriptic

New

Post by Scriptic » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Hello all, I have been watching and waiting for FFXI private servers for a few years now. I would eventually like to setup my own server but I have not yet successfully accessed anyone's server so far. I have a retail copy of FFXI with expansions up to abyssea. I have a windows 8 pc. Do I need to have an active retail account to access private servers? Any and all tips are appreciated. If I am posting in the wrong area, my apologies. I haven't yet finished reading through all topics.

Shadowmh

Re: New

Post by Shadowmh » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:32 pm

You don't need to have an active retail account to access a private server.
Updating your FFXI will be different than usual but we have a wiki for all that.

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Main_Page

This is a great place to start to learn what you need to do, including building your server and updating your FFXI if you are not playing retail.

Scriptic

Post by Scriptic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I started creating a server using the Darkstar wiki, but I'm having some trouble, so I just decided to first achieve access to a private server then possibly wipe what I have and reinstall while documenting every step and item. Thanks again.

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Scriptic wrote:Thanks for the info. I started creating a server using the Darkstar wiki, but I'm having some trouble, so I just decided to first achieve access to a private server then possibly wipe what I have and reinstall while documenting every step and item. Thanks again.
Did you try following this guide step by step?
https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Building_the_Server
I am not that good with programming, but the instructions are pretty easy to follow. Just make sure you follow it step by step, and don't try to shortcut until you understand what you are doing.

Shadowmh

Post by Shadowmh » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 pm

What issues are you having with building your server?

Scriptic

Post by Scriptic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Yeah, I followed the guide step by step but became lost somewhere around the Linux setup. Then the zones were throwing up errors and I couldn't figure out how to fix it so that's why I am going wipe it clean and start fresh. That way I can come to the forum with accurate information so I'm not wasting anyone's time for those who are willing to help. Because as of now, I couldn't tell you what errors popped exactly. Thanks.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Scriptic wrote:Yeah, I followed the guide step by step but became lost somewhere around the Linux setup. Then the zones were throwing up errors and I couldn't figure out how to fix it so that's why I am going wipe it clean and start fresh. That way I can come to the forum with accurate information so I'm not wasting anyone's time for those who are willing to help. Because as of now, I couldn't tell you what errors popped exactly. Thanks.
you would only follow the linux setup if you were on linux instead of windows

Scriptic

Post by Scriptic » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 am

Ok. So i tried to connect to a darkstar private server and fell bass ackwards into my own server (had it running). So my server works. Now my issue is I have another PC in the house on the same network running windows 8.1 just like mine, and I have created a Homegroup and shared everything yet somehow I am still having trouble connecting the other PC.

So..
1. I'd like to connect the other pc in the house so it can access my server. (it's on the same network)
2. Would like to connect to someone Else's server. Not sure if this is as simple as changing a Port# or files. Tried just changing the port number but it doesn't work.
3. Much appreciation and respect to the Dev team who put this all together. This is Bad-A$$!

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Home/Workgroup makes zero difference.

1)What you need to do is close your server, go back to the zoneip section in the setup guide, and set it to your LAN IP address instead of localhost. That will allow people on your internal network to connect.

If you then need to run a client on the SAME system as the server, look into the hairpin hack for the boot loader.

2) Just change the IP fed to the boot loader.

3) Thanks.

Scriptic

Post by Scriptic » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Followed all steps. Ashita will not work correctly, it throws the error 'failed to load entry point_except1' pol.exe entry point. I was able to create an account using mXI but then it fails as well. I would rather use ashita, but after a lengthy search I have yet to see a fix.

EDIT: Never mind. I needed to install Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 on the other pc to run Ashita V2.