How to Make the server 24/7?

wyll001

How to Make the server 24/7?

Post by wyll001 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:31 am

I Pretty much done the whole rest from it
But still need a a way to keep the world and logon servers running
Since it needed to be kept running from a PC all the time, I don't know what to do.
what should I use?
VPS?
Dedicated?
Cloud Computing?
Something else?
What you use?
Something that don't end up with a huge electricity bill later on

nasomi

Re: How to Make the server 24/7?

Post by nasomi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:11 pm

Why not just plug in a computer and don't turn it off? I'm not seeing the challenge here.

I use specialized hardware that it's unlikely anyone else would consider. It results in a large electricity bill.

wyll001

Post by wyll001 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:51 pm

I wrote: Something that don't end up with a huge electricity bill later on
and all of a sudden
nasomi wrote: I use specialized hardware that it's unlikely anyone else would consider. It results in a large electricity bill.
either that's huge distraction, lacky of reading, dumbness or spamming

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 pm

wyll001 wrote:
I wrote: Something that don't end up with a huge electricity bill later on
and all of a sudden
nasomi wrote: I use specialized hardware that it's unlikely anyone else would consider. It results in a large electricity bill.
either that's huge distraction, lacky of reading, dumbness or spamming
That's why he's not going to try to explain what he has, it is above and beyond what a normal, sane person would do ;)

No need to be rude about it, re-read the first part of his message.
-- Whasf

nasomi

Post by nasomi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59 pm

You asked what you should use and you asked what i used. My usage is contradictory to what a normal person would use. I never claimed otherwise.

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:02 am

I used a laptop on a shelf when I ran my own server 24/7. It had just enough ram to run darkstar and the mysql server at the same time. Any less and I'd have needed to put 1 of them elsewhere. Was slow on full builds though.

It was a damaged netbook I had to remote into for any updating/maint because the screen was shattered the touch pad shot and only half the keyboard worked, and I didn't feel like taking it off the shelf to hook up a monitor keyboard and mouse every time I had to change something so I just set up anydesk on it.

I've never had to have anything special to run the full game world for myself and my friends, and I had averaged about 20 users which is about what all but the top 3-5 servers ever get (if even that). The top few servers breach 100 players, and they have hardware and net connections they are barely using.

Seriously if you have broadband and any pc built in the last 10 years with at least 2gb ram, chances are you can run it. A hosted solution will cost more than your electric bill would rise from leaving a cheap PC on. If you have reasons you can't do that, and are familiar with linux you can get cheap linux based vps slices but they will screw you on ram every time.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

wyll001

Post by wyll001 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:45 am

nasomi wrote:You asked what you should use and you asked what i used. My usage is contradictory to what a normal person would use. I never claimed otherwise.
whasf wrote: That's why he's not going to try to explain what he has, it is above and beyond what a normal, sane person would do ;)

Well, whoever said can't do so, I even my own not-so-ordinary machine for such.
but my prob' here is the electricity bills, not cheap. over $300 on everyday use, just so you know
for an instance of what happen here just now: a teacher asks for a homework of WWII mobile weaponry, and ends up with a paper about shipment of weapons and supplies. That is worth a D- (or a 3 if you may) right on the delivery

demolish
Developer

Post by demolish » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 am

wyll001 wrote:
nasomi wrote:You asked what you should use and you asked what i used. My usage is contradictory to what a normal person would use. I never claimed otherwise.
whasf wrote: That's why he's not going to try to explain what he has, it is above and beyond what a normal, sane person would do ;)

but my prob' here is the electricity bills, not cheap. over $300 on everyday use, just so you know
for an instance of what happen here just now: a teacher asks for a homework of WWII mobile weaponry, and ends up with a paper about shipment of weapons and supplies. That is worth a D- (or a 3 if you may) right on the delivery
Except you glossed over the first part of his post:
nasomi wrote:Why not just plug in a computer and don't turn it off? I'm not seeing the challenge here.

I use specialized hardware that it's unlikely anyone else would consider. It results in a large electricity bill.
Let's take a closer look.
nasomi wrote:Why not just plug in a computer and don't turn it off?
Oh, look. A question as to why you're unable to do so in an attempt to offer potential solutions to your problem; yet for some reason you felt it necessary to be rude.
In case you weren't aware of what you asked, here's your post (I decided to highlight the points he's addressed in bold as I'd prefer not to receive a D- on this post for lack of clarity):
wyll001 wrote:I Pretty much done the whole rest from it
But still need a a way to keep the world and logon servers running
Since it needed to be kept running from a PC all the time, I don't know what to do.
what should I use?
VPS?
Dedicated?
Cloud Computing?
Something else?
What you use?
Ah, it appears he's trying to address the issue of what you should use by asking why you can't leave a dedicated machine running so we can offer more help on the matter.

But wait!
wyll001 wrote: What you use?
Oh. Looks like you asked what others use. Not sure where the "lacky of reading, dumbness or spamming" comes into play here. Note that "huge electricity bill" is subjective as some have wallets deeper than others'.
wyll001 wrote: -snip-
Ah, so that's your problem... See if you just specified that in the first place instead of being rude, there wouldn't be a need for this post.
<Giblet[NewBrain]> kj with this first step would be fine on my shit
Click here for a guide on scripting missions.

wyll001

Post by wyll001 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Okay, Okay, SORRY aight? Not need to wipe all out like that, let's reasoning here...
from the start
I'm already have my DB over a host, the scripts, conf's and all the rest are on a cloud host (do not confuse with a cloud storage) and have an IP address reserve for that.
all of those are up and running, and synced just fine, I even managed a "one year subscription" for free, It took since May to receive the grant (which apparently need to be applied monthly to), so I got the server settle for the host and online based storing.
The DB will be 23/7 for easily access, management and all that stuff, but I realized that the scriptsand the server were useless in a Cloud Hosting since they can only me ran from a Windows based host with C++ lib, like mentioned (or better yet, criticized) above: my electricity bills can't go up any higher, I have a piece of hardware NO ONE would EVEN think of, but there we have the bills again.
I could probably afford a $40 rent of a virtual machine in Alemania or any of those countries half way across the globe, or maybe an $250 one time only fee, But I stood stuck on that one for some reason.
That is the true story, but it seems I'm the first to admit it that I need to rewind then play it back and fix my own error

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:22 pm

wyll001 wrote:since they can only me ran from a Windows based host with C++ lib
you can run it on linux

i'd just run it on a pc in your house like most of us do, it's really not going to make a difference if you don't turn your pc off anyways. and if you do, you can just build a shitty linux box out of old pc parts like I did for it