FFXI on MAC via WINE

theoddme

FFXI on MAC via WINE

Post by theoddme » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Hello Everyone!

i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to install ffxi (private server) on to a Macbook pro (late 2013) using wine? i have googled, yahooed and binged and i cannot find a guide on how to do this that actually works.

any help appreciated!

whasf
Site Admin

Re: FFXI on MAC via WINE

Post by whasf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm

If you can't find a guide then it's probably not possible
-- Whasf

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:01 pm

theoddme wrote:(private server)
if you're installing just the client to play on another server, it'll be the same as retail client (if that broadens your search a bit)
Last edited by kjLotus on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoddme

Post by theoddme » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:45 pm

whasf wrote:If you can't find a guide then it's probably not possible
There are a lot of people in various forums claiming it is possible. I myself have gotten as far as character selection but then i get a never ending black screen :(

theoddme

Post by theoddme » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:47 pm

kjLotus wrote:
theoddme wrote:(private server)[/quote
if you're installing just the client to play on another server, it'll be the same as retail client (if that broadens your search a bit)
yea, i will try to open up my search to just getting it to work on mac period. like i stated on my post above i have gotten as far as selecting my character and logging in, but then it black screens infinitely.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm

theoddme wrote:
kjLotus wrote:
theoddme wrote:(private server)[/quote
yea, i will try to open up my search to just getting it to work on mac period. like i stated on my post above i have gotten as far as selecting my character and logging in, but then it black screens infinitely.
You didn't state that in your original post, you just asked for an install guide :P

Getting to a black screen is different (you got into the game client fine), what do you see on the game server console when that happens?
-- Whasf

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Generally speaking, the more detailed info you can provide about a problem, the more likely the problem is to be identified correctly...most of this thread has been people assuming you can't get ffxi running under wine at all. That said, if you got to a black screen that is a totally different beast and probably something fixable.

Anyone else stumbling upon this trying to get it working in wine, I will tell you you absolutely have to have a gfx card that supports hardware T&L for FFXI to run in WINE.

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:52 am

As taken from another forum with recent success:
Herro Guys =3

I will need to get my hands on the current install files that are being used to work through this. However as you should already have a complete install folder this will help tremendously with the "install".

Typically you are going to need to install the game as per usual via wine. Copy your preinstalled folder over and implement some wine tricks. Most of which are going to be the http coding, Ie8, directx, .net frameworks, scripts and finally service packs while running it in Window XP.

As I am sure you have had a good look over Winehq, there are a number of known issues listed there and a few work arounds. As this server doesn't really run through PoL - it has a work around in place - and instead just runs from the boot file there can be a few issues.

Are you currently using Ashita etc?

Thanks, Mora.

foowater

Post by foowater » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:36 am

Hey guys, this might be an old post but I thought I'd reply here anyway. I got the private server client working on Linux, and I think it should also work for OSX.

I explain how you set it up here.

Hope this is useful to you, cheers.