Server Connection Issues from LAN or Localhost

Blaze Leonstrife

Server Connection Issues from LAN or Localhost

Post by Blaze Leonstrife » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Hello, first of all thank you development team for getting this all together! Wonderful job!

Now, the reason I'm posting...I'm attempting to build a server on my local network for the household.

I've followed the "Building the Server" and "Configuring Your Client" from https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Main_Page. I had no issues creating the database, compiling the code, or getting a client configured. I've validated my client setup by confirming that I can connect to several of the servers on the DarkStar Servers listing on the main page, so I'm pretty confident that I've got a working client. I've updated the zone settings using UPDATE zone_settings SET zoneip = '10.2.1.150'; on the SQL server (modified for how my network is setup of course). I've also made the appropriate changes to login_darkstar.conf, map_darkstar.conf, and search_server.conf. I have no issues starting up the servers in sequence of connect, game, and search. Up to this point I've been pretty confident in the setup based off the instructions.

Now I have two problems...
Problem 1: When attempting to connect to my server from the localhost machine, with and without the hairpin argument, and using either --server 127.0.0.1 or --server 10.2.1.150 for the server argument, the server comes back with "<user> shutdown the socket". On XILoader, I'm getting "Sending account id.." and moments later "Closing...". Most of the forums that I've read say that it's a client issue. I made sure I ran all executable files in administrator mode (right click and run as administrator...then I got tired and selected the option in the compatibility settings for the .exe). Even though I can connect to other servers, I decided to wipe my client completely, reinstall, and patch accordingly. This didn't solve the issue. I recreated the server again from scratch and reconfigured again as described earlier. Nothing. I then decided it may be because the server is running on a VM on my main gaming rig, so I put it on a completely separate computer. Go through the steps again and come to the same roadblock. This leads me to problem 2...

Problem 2: I figure if I can't connect on the localhost, I should try a different approach in case something on the localhost is causing the issue. Let's connect from a different machine. So time to make the firewall exception rules. For the fun of it, I also set the port-forwarding on my router even though it shouldn't be needed on the local network. Lastly, I installed and configured the client on my gaming rig and testing connection to the known working DarkStar servers. Cool. Connect to my server IP and I get the message "Failed to connect to server.." "Closing.."

The server is running on Win 7 Pro x64. Eventually I will move on to Windows Server 2012 R2...but one problem at a time (heck maybe it'll be 2016 R2 by the time I figure this out and want to find more problems haha). I've attempted a client Win 7 Pro x64 and Win 10 Pro x64

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Server Connect.png
XI Loader - Loopback.png

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: Server Connection Issues from LAN or Localhost

Post by kjLotus » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:12 pm

ashita or windower?

If you've already tried administrator (the most common cause), it can also be that xiloader can't launch FFXI for some reason or another (install location changes depending on client language, etc)

Blaze Leonstrife

Post by Blaze Leonstrife » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Hmm interesting. I may have to look again at the localhost system.

I feel stupid for problem 2. I was able to solve it by double checking my DHCP server...it was out of the way so I didn't think about it. I only set up my router for the default 50 IPs...ending at .149.. I expanded it so that is within range. So problem number 1 is the only one left.

fnx

Post by fnx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:14 am

I just updated my gaming machine to Windows 10 and am running into the same issue where I can connect to private server lobbies (mine using --hairpin and others) with both Windower and Ashita, but eventually get the closed socket problem. Am copying my setup to a spare Windows 7 machine and will try and confirm that this is Windows 10 issue with both Ashita and Windower.

fnx

Post by fnx » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Current Win10 copy to Win7 box has same issue... Commencing complete reinstall and patch... Will update thread tomorrow.

fnx

Post by fnx » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Looks like I am at a complete loss for now...

For both Win7 and Win10
-------------------------------------------
Retail server works.
Local server with --hairpin fails at socket closed.
Remote servers fail at socket closed.

Have checked router, proxy and firewall logs and no clues there either.

Isenduil

Post by Isenduil » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am

did you ever figure out the fix for this issue I am having the same problem connecting to the local host and getting the exact same message.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Are you running as administrator? The loader uses process 'detours' to inject itself into the FFXI client and that needs admin rights.
-- Whasf

fnx

Post by fnx » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Blaze, can I ask what Anti-Virus you are using?
I ended up doing a full reinstall of the client and so far so good with connecting to servers.

Isenduil

Post by Isenduil » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:14 pm

I Got everything running nicely I believe my client was out of date since they just did an update to the client.