Need to know where to set the Serve IP

aceover9

Need to know where to set the Serve IP

Post by aceover9 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi.

I just need to know all the places that I need to go to set the server's IP either in the server set up files or the client files. I got things working on the server computer and am looking to make it public but would settle for just getting it to work on LAN for now.

I know I update the zonemapip in Navicat and I am using Windower so I update the IP in the Windower settings.

Is there any other place?

Just using a Dark Star server with Windower and XILauncher.

I've read through the server and client set up wiki's a few times and can only find those two spots to update. If I run XILauncher on another machine on the network it says "Failed to connect to server" and shuts down.

I feel like there's got to be another place where I set the IP address of the server.

With the zone map and windower settings set to the host computer's IPv4 address (the network IP but not the external IP) the host computer can connect but no other ones on the LAN can.

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to continue searching in the mean time. Thanks!

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Need to know where to set the Serve IP

Post by whasf » Thu May 04, 2017 8:35 am

in zone_settings set the IP to be the LAN IP of the server machine (probably 192.168.x.x), by default it is 127.0.0.1 which means you can only connect from the server machine itself.

On the LAN clients, put the LAN IP address of the server in the config, or on the command line for the loader.
-- Whasf

aceover9

Post by aceover9 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks. I also found things I needed to edit in the login_darkstar config file.

#--------------------------------
#TCP/IP parameters

login_data_ip: 192.168.xxx.xxx
login_data_port: 54230
login_view_ip: 192.168.xxx.xxx
login_view_port: 54001
login_auth_ip: 192.168.xxx.xxx
login_auth_port: 54231

in case anyone was wondering. Thanks.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Tue May 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Good thing you masked your internal IP addresses, now we can't hack you!
-- Whasf

Danny 1993

Post by Danny 1993 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Sorry if I can just hijack this please as I'm having the same problem. Have my own server running fine just for me but now want to make it public for just myself and two friends (Not LAN).

zone_settings the IP is set to the server machines external IP address (not one that stars with 192.168 etc.)

login_darkstar currently says the following: (from reading above one assumes this needs to change, but to what?)

#TCP/IP parameters

login_data_ip: 127.0.0.1
login_view_ip: 127.0.0.1
login_auth_ip: 127.0.0.1

And my windower settings says: <args>--server 127.0.0.1 --hairpin --user (then my username etc.)</args>

This still lets me on the server machine log in fine, I tried changing the login_darkstar config file to both my external IP and the internal 192.168 IP but my friend had no luck. I've spent the better part of two days on this now and I'm going crazy lol. After every change I've rebuilt the servers so at the moment I have the above information and I can still log in 100% fine from the host machine.

I'm aware I'm probably making an insanely stupid mistake along the way brought about by tiredness and just being stupid, but if I could please be told what IP address to put where, and then what IP address my friends need to put in their Windower settings (I imagine this to be the machines external IP address that is currently the same as in the zone_settings) then that would be incredible as it's the last piece of the puzzle.

Thank you!

CTOON50

Post by CTOON50 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 am

This is my settings below that are in the login_darkstar.conf. I haven't had any issues connecting externally. Make sure your ports are forwarded as well in your firewall, and router.

#TCP/IP parameters

login_data_ip: 0.0.0.0
login_view_ip: 0.0.0.0
login_auth_ip: 0.0.0.0
login_auth_port: 54231

TCP Ports:

UDP Port:

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Danny 1993 wrote:Sorry if I can just hijack this please as I'm having the same problem. Have my own server running fine just for me but now want to make it public for just myself and two friends (Not LAN).

zone_settings the IP is set to the server machines external IP address (not one that stars with 192.168 etc.)

login_darkstar currently says the following: (from reading above one assumes this needs to change, but to what?)

#TCP/IP parameters

And my windower settings says: <args>--server 127.0.0.1 --hairpin --user (then my username etc.)</args>

This still lets me on the server machine log in fine, I tried changing the login_darkstar config file to both my external IP and the internal 192.168 IP but my friend had no luck. I've spent the better part of two days on this now and I'm going crazy lol. After every change I've rebuilt the servers so at the moment I have the above information and I can still log in 100% fine from the host machine.

I'm aware I'm probably making an insanely stupid mistake along the way brought about by tiredness and just being stupid, but if I could please be told what IP address to put where, and then what IP address my friends need to put in their Windower settings (I imagine this to be the machines external IP address that is currently the same as in the zone_settings) then that would be incredible as it's the last piece of the puzzle.

Thank you!
You forwarded the appropriate ports on your Internet router?
-- Whasf

Danny 1993

Post by Danny 1993 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Yes, on both the router and my firewall

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Danny 1993 wrote:Yes, on both the router and my firewall
What is your friend seeing from their side, and what are you seeing on the server side?
-- Whasf

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Code: Select all

these are kind of broken, only works when set 0.0.0.0 because the core binds that to ALL and instead of realizing the settings just plain don't work for their intended purpose as stated back in the PR they came in on everyone argued about whether or not using bind all was better than defaulting to loopback.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS