FFXI-3101

Vanclaive

FFXI-3101

Post by Vanclaive » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 am

I am really sorry to post, but I have searched and searched, on-site and off, in hopes of clarifying the exact meaning of the FFXI-3101 error.

I have compiled a stable Darkstar build on an Ubuntu 17.10 VM environment. If I access it remotely via a PVN (an essentially local) connection, it behaves and functions exactly as expected when connecting with the client. (Although hairpin is necessary in this situation.)

Nevertheless, having configured it to be accessible via an external IP held by a router, with all the necessary ports mentioned in the guide (as well as an off-handedly mentioned 53445 just in case) appropriately forwarded, attempting to connect it successfully resolves the user/pass auth and proceeds to the game client displaying the 'rules & policy accept/decline' window, and upon accepting the terms it returns an FFXI-3101 error during the 'establishing connection' phase that follows. It is not an UFW or other firewall issue.

Considering that things behave as expected in a (virtual) local environment, and they do not in an external environment, I can only conclude I have made a configuration error. Unfortunately, due to the borderline comically vague information surrounding the 3101 error, I simply cannot figure out what I've done wrong.

Vanclaive

Re: FFXI-3101

Post by Vanclaive » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 am

I might have finally figured my own personal woes regarding this error, and I'm led to believe it actually has to do with the nature of my internet connection being a tethered phone rather than myself being dumb about configuring things. I'm pretty sure at this point no one can help me, and that there is no viable resolution for someone in my situation other than relying upon a tunneled (vpn or other special-case) connection to be able to connect to an FFXI server.

I tried to delete the original post and spare anyone/everyone the trouble of reading it, but it wouldn't let me. That said, in hindsight this could actually be enlightening for a very select few: if anyone is trying to play FFXI via a tethered mobile device and they find they can't, the very nature of their Internet connection is very likely why.