fafnir/nidhogg no pop bug

Forum rules
NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED!
BeLe

fafnir/nidhogg no pop bug

Post by BeLe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 am

On MY server (a couple lua scripts changed but otherwise normal r2300) I can't get fafnir to pop using honey wine. If I @spawnmob then @despawnmob it it works fine until the server crashes or restarts.
On a server I play on, (around r2280 iirc) supposedly neither fafnir or nidhogg will pop with their respective items.
I'm not sure why this happens or what causes it, the ???'s script seems fine.

bluekirby0
Developer

Re: fafnir/nidhogg no pop bug

Post by bluekirby0 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 am

Make absolutely sure that neither Fafnir nor Nidhogg is up (though I'm not sure how you could miss either :P ). If you have any errors on your server console, that would be helpful as well. And whether the item is consumed in the trade or not.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 am

Killed Fafnir.
Traded Honey Wine (3339) to ???
@despawn 17408018 (Fafnir)
Traded Sweet Tea (3340) to ???
Nada. Trade not accepted. Item not consumed.
@pos 78 6 34 (spawn point, accurate to the decimal)
No Nidhogg.
@spawnmob 17408019 (Nidhogg)
Nothing. No nidhogg.
@spawnmob 17408018 (Fafnir)
Fafnir appears, starts to move... and depops himself.

I probably shouldn't have tested that on the public test server. Hope nobody had a ToD.

Fixed by re-popping Fafnir via Honey Wine, then @pos 78 6 34 154. He seemed okay and wasn't depopping. BeLe, I'd try removing your server variables related to Fafnir and Nidhogg, and trying again.

Shenanigans. I think I'll try this "sleep" thing again.

BeLe

Post by BeLe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Thank you. Removing fafnir from the list in server.lua seems to have solved my problem. I'll inform the owner of the other server I play on of what to try.
I was having essentially the same problem. Fafnir wouldn't pop and the honey wine wouldn't get removed from my inv. Sorry I wasn't more detailed in my initial message.. had to leave at the time.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 am

Did some bashing back and forth with bluekirby0 when you reported this. Sorry we didn't have a solution at the time. We narrowed it down to Fafnir getting stuck in action 24 (attempting to pop,) while the LUA was checking if he was action 0.

I wasn't aware of that part of server.lua, so that explains what was going on. I'll look through the functions and see what can be done.

Edit:
Looks like they're given a spawn delay of 15 to 180 minutes at server start. Realistically, could cause this mix up in the future. There's probably a better way to do this.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am

KSNM99s work now, so there is no reason to continue spawning them on a timer at all. You can make it an option if you want, but this hybrid system should really die now that it is possible to get the spawn items for tier 1s.

HFCS

Post by HFCS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 am

Reason#1: Turning off the 24 hour timer is a RMT prevention measure on a private server that has no RMT.

Reason#2: Too much of a hassle to farm a stack a KS as it is currently on DSP, since half the time players get useless Kindred Crests courtesy of Abyssea.

If we're going to drop the 24 hour timer and go full Abyssea on a DSP that's currently aiming for RotZ and CoP, we're currently missing scripts for Domenic and missing http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Shemo altogether. Without the 24 hour timer and a significant player population, the HQ king fights will just die off as it is.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 am

If people feel that strongly about it then we should disable the pop items or make an a/b setting that enables one or the other. Supporting both at once is ridiculous and has already lead to bugs that shouldn't have to be worked around.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 am

I can agree with bluekirby0 that an A or B solution is probably better. The current solution encourages people to just do a daily Fafhogg, and to be honest we'd kind of like those BCNMs tested. It was born out of HNM drama on the test server, which there doesn't seem to be any of now.

So a method that provides choice and lets testing be directed as necessary seems ideal to all parties involved.

Here's a proposal that seems like it should work.
- Add new setting to settings.lua. HNM_SPAWN_SYSTEM
- Alter server.lua to exclude the pop timers on Behemoth and Fafnir depending on HNM_SPAWN_SYSTEM. Adamantoise doesn't seem to be part of the current hybrid system, but should probably be included in the set.
- Set respawn time to 0 and spawn type to 128 on all three in the database. This is how all other force pops are handled.
- Alter the mob LUA files. If HNM_SPAWN_SYSTEM == classic, OnDeath, SpawnMob(mobid,length). A system to track the HQ versions, and then math.random to see who gets next pop would probably be good. SpawnMob appears to already support this delayed spawn method. There also seems to be some leftovers from before the KSNM system that will make NQ/HQ a non-issue.
- OPTIONAL: Alter the pop ??? LUA files. If HNM_SPAWN_SYSTEM == classic, do nothing. Purist mode, go. A second option would be to include a "hybrid," which duplicates current functionality. Not disabling these would allow/cause the repop timer to be reset by a force pop.
- OPTIONAL: Add new setting to settings.lua. HNM_RESPAWN_TIME. Use in classic mode to give greater control over pop time.

Under the proposed system:
Classic system would spawn the mob 15-180 minutes after server start, as the current system does. When the NM dies, it's determined if the NQ or HQ should pop, and the timer is started. With the optional addition, that timer could be set to any length, as desired. Default state from the trunk would be classic, with the normal daily pop.
KSNM system would never pop the HNMs on its own. Players would have to get the necessary items to pop them. With almost no difficulty, admins could also alter Shami to offer Themis Orb for a lower price, if they want to direct testing in this way.

Problems:
This really doesn't fix the reported bug. Op was unable to spawn Fafnir because Fafnir was in a state of "ready to spawn" and just waiting on a timer.

What admins do with their servers would, of course, remain their choice.

Feedback? If a core dev would prefer something less "script-y," that would probably have better control of the system.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Did further research due to Bug #420. Hybrid system may be off the table. Not sure why DeterMob() is used on the HNMs, but that makes it impossible to spawn a mob by trading or @spawnmob if it's active.

If anybody wants to review what it does, and why it's in use on the HNMs, the door's open.