Attempting to create a new custom item

Applications/Tools written to make running DarkStar easier for the rest of us.
ClanMcCracken

Attempting to create a new custom item

Post by ClanMcCracken » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:12 am

I've been playing around with attempting to create my own custom item. Just to see if I could. I followed the guide for adding an item as best as I could but something seems to have gone wrong and I was wondering if you could tell me where i err'd.

Im using the stable branch, if that matters.

First thing i did was located an empty spot in Item_basic. there was a sizable gap around itemID 20000, so I used that. I wanted to create a pair of pants for walking around town in, something that could be worn by any class, wearable at level 1, cant sell on the AH, and looks like Black Slacks (itemID 12865). Anyway I created the item in Item_basic, Picture included.

Then I created the item in Item_armor like the guide hinted at. Picture included

And lastly I added the item in item_mods. Picture included

After that shut down the server and booted it back up (just in case that was required) loaded back in and attempted to add my new item to my inventory. I've included a picture of the result. I get an item thats name is only a single period, I expected the help text to be blank, but i did not expect the item to not be equip-able. Can anyone see what mistake i made?
Attachments
AddItemResult.PNG
ItemMods.PNG
ItemArmor.PNG
ItemBasic.PNG

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Attempting to create a new custom item

Post by TeoTwawki » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Because that information is in your clients dat files not just the server. The client doesn't get the item name and helptext from the server, Square Enix didn't design it that way (it would be sending more data in a game originally designed to be played on dialup internet).
Attachments
custom items.jpg
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

KigenAngelo

Post by KigenAngelo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 pm

I'm very sorry to necro-bump but is there a tool to help modify all the client dats text for items and whatnot?

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 am

KigenAngelo wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 pm
I'm very sorry to necro-bump but is there a tool to help modify all the client dats text for items and whatnot?
Just your favorite hex editor. I'm not aware of a FFXI-specific one.
-- Whasf

KigenAngelo

Post by KigenAngelo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:00 am

whasf wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 am
KigenAngelo wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 pm
Just your favorite hex editor. I'm not aware of a FFXI-specific one.
I will have to keep digging. I was trying to decode strings of the status ui but looking at the code from Icon Change I guess strings needs to be decoded (which makes sense).

Edit: what about a potential override? Looks like renaming NPCs is at least possible with this method looking at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3129&p=17172&hilit ... dat#p17172

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Maybe. might be burdensome to try and overwrite item data in memory like that. you'd also have to find where it is in memory first, and you'd probably have to use raw memory injections instead of the handy built in function I used for object names. The entities already had functions to manipulate them baked into both windower and ashita, and I just used those on prerender (right before each frame hits the screen, basically) to replace the names. There probably is something for item names, but I doubt there is for item helptext.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS