[TOOL] Program to edit/create NPC, Quests, Vendors

Vincent

[TOOL] Program to edit/create NPC, Quests, Vendors

Post by Vincent » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi guys,
I thought about a little program to help the darkstar project greatly.
It will make the scripting of quests and missions alot faster and easier. Also i'm sure it will attract more people by opening new perspectives.
Here's a mockup of the layout

http://i.imgur.com/LP3JB.png

I will explain everything more in details tomorow and maybe we could have a little talk over the IRC with people interested in the dev :)

Good night all ;)

settokaiba

Re: [TOOL] Program to edit/create NPC, Quests, Vendors

Post by settokaiba » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm

All I can say is wow, its looks great. I already love it.

altalus

Post by altalus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Ok... me want now :P

Will follow this topic for sure !

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

looks like a lot of fun to code behind all those buttons :)
-- Whasf

keener31

Post by keener31 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 pm

not sure if you had plans to create your own model viewer, but itd likely be easier to leverage the existing one. heres a quick run down (select model viewer on the left side): http://www.grumpyrarab.ffximc.com/pages ... frame.html

also, that site goes over a bunch of other useful tools for data mining ffxi's files. i kinda assume most of the devs already use these, but if they dont, please check them out. they may prove useful. only common tool that isnt mentioned is altana viewer... though that has limited practical use.

edit: i take that back about altana viewer. its apparently a lot more robust than when i last used it: http://ffxidats.caarrie.com/index.php?topic=3301.0

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:07 am

Thank all :)

keener i wasnt planing to remake everything from scratch it would be suicidal/stupid/waste of time :lol:

The Look editor + Model viewer is a screenshot from Altana viewer, not sure if their code is opensource will check that tonight

Also i'm not a programmer, but my plan is to breakdown the whole thing to render the programation work as simple as possible so someone can jump in and code it fast.
Coding a dropdown menu or a radio button isnt hard, it's defining what these do that is, which I'll do.
Tonight I will legend the whole image with all the infos gathered so far.

I might also forget things so please anyone with knowledge in these areas (DAT mining/LUA quest writing/NPC mod) dont hesitate to jump in.

I'm not sure that interface for the quest editing is the most practical, maybe a nodal view with conditions linking would be more efficient, or maybe have a separate "condition editor" .
This is planning phase and it's crucial, I repeat it, once this tool is made and distributed, i can see all the quests and missions done in less than a month.
The wiki is great but you've got to be seriously motivated to jump into quest editing.

Have a great day everyone ;) 8-)

ik2012

Post by ik2012 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Any news on this? Looks exciting :D

Virtualchronos

Post by Virtualchronos » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 pm

same for me I'm realy impatient to have it !