Job & AF quests : What works and doesn't works

SirGouki

Re: Job & AF quests : What works and doesn't works

Post by SirGouki » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Hello all. I am a hobbyist game programmer. I use XNA or Java mostly. Though I'm not as experienced or knowledgeable with C++ as I'd like to be, the problem with The Fanged One sounds a lot like a status from one instance of the tiger isn't cleared on death, and is doubled on a new one (unless the poison wears off on the new one). Doesn't Retail FFXI clear ALL statuses on death except EXP bonus and signet/sigil? Obviously, enemies don't get these 2 statuses so for them it would simply clear all statuses. I haven't looked at the source for the server yet, as I'm going to build a working version of it before I start tweaking things. I know in most of the stuff I've read on how to make games, and thus most of the projects I've worked on, all enemies are instanced (as in represented by a variable, NOT generated per player) so that they can be respawned as needed by using constructors, without problems like this happening. Does the server not do it that way?

I mean no disrespect nor do I mean to call anyone's programming styles in to question, so please do not take it that way. I'm merely trying to understand what could cause something like that since I don't do much in c++. Thanks.

PS: Is there a list of more stuff that isn't implemented as well as reasons why?

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Your assessment is pretty accurate. It is an artifact left behind because there are two implementations of status effects in the core and they work differently. It takes time to get everything moved over from the old system to the new, and then there will be debugging to do after that. It is more of a matter of "it isn't worth fixing until everything else that is going to break, breaks".

As for things that are not implemented...the list is long. The reasons why? Two main reasons...For one, we lack the ability to capture new packets from current retail, and fixing this is not a trivial matter. The other reason is the sheer amount of content and mechanics in the game makes it impossible to do overnight, particularly with a small team like this.

SirGouki

Post by SirGouki » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

I completely understand about the small team being a limiting factor. I do everything solo right now. Once I get a better understanding of things I'll be more than glad to help with what I can. With as small as the server is (hard drive space wise) and it still works, I suspect we already have everything we need in the client itself, its just a matter (and no small one) of tricking it into giving it to us.

I read through some of the source last night while I was compiling the servers and it seems easy enough to follow. For things such as sheep's song not working (I read something about sleep changes the AI) I'm guessing that has to be added into the source itself? I remember reading that just scripting it causes crashes.

I'm still waiting for my client updates to finish, and it's gonna be about 6 hours before that's done, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can while I wait. It's hard to be patient with a game like this, ironically enough.

Last Edit: clarification and error correction.

Metalfiiish
Developer

Post by Metalfiiish » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Will be glad to have you on board! Yeah, I knew it was an issue with the status not being cleared on death, as blue said there was two different status systems and both are in the c++ code (most of us refer to this as the core). The core is for coders and everything else is scripting, which is what I maintain. So if your not too familiar as you said with C++ then you can always join me and others on the scripting side that uses lua language. Either way you should hop on the IRC when you have time, you'll get to know some of us and can get pretty much any question you need answered.

SirGouki

Post by SirGouki » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I have all the client updates downloaded since last night, and I'm working on applying them now.

My problem with c++ is more that I use it once every 8 months or so, so I tend to forget things (like prototyping functions). Having working source code in front of me will help me jump back in. I'm interested in the scripting side of things, too, but I'd like to learn more about the code first.

Last Edit: Removed a question I found an answer to.

altalus

Post by altalus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 pm

If I wasn't only a "capable" programmer and more of a "good" programmer I would love to help but...

Is there a good way to submit patches and code idea ? I mean, let's say I modified something in the core, tested it locally and would like to submit it to the dev team for reviewing is there an official way of doing it ?

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am

Make a post in the "contributing" forum and attach the .patch file that contains your changes. Please explain what you changed in the body of your post. Just a FYI we are going for as close to retail as possible, so we will only accept patches that help us toward our goal.

Thanks!
-- Whasf

link
Developer

Post by link » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm

AF1 : The Tenshodo Showdown Steal not implemented

This can be marked green Eze ^^

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 am

Just posting here to put a claim on Dragoon quests. I knocked out scripts for AF2 that I'll have to test tomorrow, will test hands and do AF3 as well.

Eliseus

Post by Eliseus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 am

PrBlahBlahtson wrote:Just posting here to put a claim on Dragoon quests. I knocked out scripts for AF2 that I'll have to test tomorrow, will test hands and do AF3 as well.
woot