Custom BCNMs - Are They Possible?

arashikage

Custom BCNMs - Are They Possible?

Post by arashikage » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 pm

I've recently stumbled across this project, and have been pondering ways to create a unique gaming experience in the world of Vana'diel. I've been studying the files used to govern the private server, and am getting wiser with each day. I currently play on 3 existing private servers to gain perspective and insight on how the game plays. I am curious though, is it possible to engineer your own custom BCNMs? I have no problem learning the process to create the necessary files to make this happen. I just need a point in the right direction on which files to focus on to make this an eventual reality. Also, I'm sure the answer to this is yes, but I'll ask to be sure, if in the event you can make custom BCNMs, will it require altering the core files of the game in any way? I've read that custom content can be very sensitive to make, and even more sensitive to get the client to read.

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Custom BCNMs - Are They Possible?

Post by TeoTwawki » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 pm

The menu's that show the BCNM names are built into the client, and you can't make up new items for "orbs" so you have to use an existing item, but other than that pretty much anything is possible. I've made dozens of them and if I could I'd give you some example code but I haven't the time, you'll have to look at what exists already and experiment (I am packing things to move this weekend).

It's all lua+sql if you use existing locations. Best of luck!
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

arashikage

Post by arashikage » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the response, I don't mind doing some trial and error to come up with something spectacular.

bluesolarflare

Post by bluesolarflare » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 pm

It's completely doable if you use existing zone text IDs such as areas in the past. I have two BCNMs on my server to obtain Dark Ixion and Light Ixion summons for SMN using a drop item as the trigger to trade to a custom npc in the area. The text basically says that you are getting warped to a specific area to fight the NM.

arashikage

Post by arashikage » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:51 pm

That sounds interesting. Did you overwrite 2 existing avatars, or was it possible to just add them to the existing roster of avatars?