3d zone models

phase6

Re: 3d zone models

Post by phase6 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Just an update to make things much easier.

Instead of taking individual capures and then joining them together in blender. I found that once I open a zone I just hold ctrl and the down arrow from the origin. That moves me along one axis, I move until I'm around 2500 units away from the origin. I then capture the zone while still holding down ctrl. This should get the entire zone.

Also since I scale the model down per my howto post if you want the model back to the original size just scale them back up by 400%.

Also good about this updated method is that its not joining all the geometry, so all the trees, bushes etc. stay individual objects so they can be seperated from the terrain if needed.

Using this method is much much faster. I can usally do about 10 zones in one or two hours depending on the zones.

Ayame

Post by Ayame » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 pm

nice

gedads
Developer

Post by gedads » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello, phase 6,
can you make a more detailed tutorial for noobs like me?
I tried to capture a small zone with your first method, it worked but once in blender i was never able to resize/ move it.
Can you explain how to do that?
Thank you

lautan
Developer

Post by lautan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Hey phase6 can you send me one of your maps with it scaled correctly? If bushes can be removed easily then this looks like a great method.

phase6

Post by phase6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 pm

@gedads - Once I have it in blender, 1st I press the scale button on the left side of the screen twice. The coordinates then show up on the bottom left. I change then to x=0.0025 y=0.00625 z=0.0025 to make them easier to work with in blender. If you want to keep the original size just change the y coordinates to 2.5 times the x and z coordinates, since 3d ripper dx squishes the model along the y-axis. Then click the object menu in the lower menu bar, and go up to mirror and mirror the model along the x-axis (make sure the whole model is still selected) to make the mirror stick left mouse click anywhere in the 3d view. To move it around I just use the 3 axis arrows by clicking one and dragging it, not sure what that thing is called.

gedads
Developer

Post by gedads » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

hi thanks for your explainations, i still have some trouble:
http://imgur.com/LpZ7awF
i scaled it to your values, mirrored it with X axis and i get the resul in the pic, the zone is there , i centered it in the grid by "pulling" the 3 color axis but i don't know what to do with it.
any hint?

http://imgur.com/J8lG7rk
closer view (not closest).

phase6

Post by phase6 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 am

That seems to be correct.

What do you want to do with it?

I'm just working on ripping them, and texturing them. Then I'm going to try and organize the objects in the file better.

gedads
Developer

Post by gedads » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:39 am

i'm looking to have it ready to be used with recast, so i guess have it with right coordinates and saved in a .obj file
Actually, when i try to center the map to 0 0 0 the closest i can to retail map, if i want to save the change i can't it's saying no active object

http://imgur.com/Juz8M6u

for example, this is zvahl keep, i can with a lot of difficulty look inside etc but i can't save anything.
Also, if i try to load the .obj in recast, all i have is a deformed area

outside view http://imgur.com/xvQZG1P
inside view, teleporters room http://imgur.com/Mc9ZHtN

whitevamp

Post by whitevamp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:50 pm

first off i take no credit for these prog's all credit goes to the original coder / project.
now that, that is said.
i thought that this might be of some use to this project, with some modifications.

what is in the *.rar .

mmaps_generator
vmap3_assembler
vmap3_extractor
Attachments
tools.rar
mmaps_generator
vmap3_assembler
vmap3_extractor
(667.74 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

phase6

Post by phase6 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:04 pm

@gedads - Well honestly I haven't used recast to work on navigation. I'm ripping the models for my own project, so I won't be much help there. I just wanted to share how I was getting the models because I thought it would help others out.

It does seem from the screenshots you posted that recast is squishing the models just like 3d ripper dx does. Can the model be altered in recast, or adjusted for recast before importing it? The screenshot from within blender seems to be the correct proportions.