Scholar Artifact & Relic

Jupiter065

Scholar Artifact & Relic

Post by Jupiter065 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm implementing the Scholar AF and Relic gear, and it looks like the work was almost done for everything except the AF feet/Relic head "Grimoire: Reduces spellcasting time" effect.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Scholar%27s_Loafers
The recast/cast reduction only affects the art that is active, so just giving them blanket MOD_BLACK_MAGIC_(RE)CAST/MOD_WHITE_MAGIC_(RE)CAST bonuses won't work because it'll affect the opposite magic's penalty. The effect comes into play when the items are equipped, not when the Dark Arts/Light Arts effect is gained, so I can't do checks in the ability/effect LUA scripts.

I think there are 3 options:
1) Create a new modifier (MOD_GRIMOIRE_SPELLCASTING), give it to the items, and check for it in magic_state:CalculateCastTime if the appropriate art is active and the appropriate spell type is cast.
2) Add a couple of latent effects for these items, one that triggers when Light Arts is active and another that triggers when Dark Arts is active and bestows the appropriate MOD_BLACK_MAGIC_(RE)CAST/MOD_WHITE_MAGIC_(RE)CAST bonuses. It looks like the latent check is run a lot, so adding something to it would probably affect performance the most.
3) Add a checks in magic_state:CalculateCastTime for all the items that have this effect. Would be ugly, but clear.

I'm leaning towards option 1, but I got a lot of feedback on my last submissions so I thought I'd run it by y'all first.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: Scholar Artifact & Relic

Post by kjLotus » Mon May 05, 2014 10:34 pm

edit: also, my bad about the grimoire spellcasting, i tried to get everything for sch pre-75 when i did all their JAs and traits, guess i forgot one