Holidays 2014 contest

starlightknight

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by starlightknight » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:47 am

I think one thing that is interesting about the case of illicit use of server software versus p2p downloading examples is that the claim is much more easily verifiable. A server like the one in question would be running 24/7 with a fixed IP. Most P2P complaints are filed against a John Doe w/ an IP observed at some point in time that's activity is harder to verify - thus companies like the RIAA/MPAA usually try to use that as grounds for discovery and don't often get far.

IANAL but the availability of the server in conjunction with doing something like embedding the git revision statically in a way that is accessible by a user as part of the build would make it pretty easily verifiable that a server was infringing. As to how far you'd actually have to go to get action after that, I have no idea. Depending on where a server is operating even a valid threat of legal action can be a good deterrent, especially if you aren't really making very much (could you afford a lawyer off of what you're making if charges were actually brought against you?)

tagban

Post by tagban » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:50 am

I honestly wish I could help more.. I just really don't have a full grasp of C++ yet, so my code sucks, as many people have pointed out to me. But I'm learning, and share everything that I do. :) Just not always going towards core source. Also pretty good @ reporting crashes with crashdumps.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:15 pm

thanks for the chair whasf :D

kernel

Post by kernel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:42 pm

That's awesome dooders! Seems like a bad ass chair. Look at KJ sporting 3 monitors. Like a boss :) Believe it or not you have better wire management than me lol.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Wow that does look like a nice chair! You're welcome and thanks again for your work with DSP.
-- Whasf

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:55 pm

kernel wrote:Believe it or not you have better wire management than me lol.
too much stuff in this corner... 2pcs, 4 screens, guitar, 2 guitar amps, drum speakers, arcade stick for xbox, tv, 3 consoles...

at least inside my case has good cable management