item_mods update

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: item_mods update

Post by kjLotus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:51 am

teotwawki wrote:All new branches on github begin life as a 100% duplicate of the master branch
they are branched off of whatever your current branch is if you did not specify which branch

Desufire

Re: item_mods update

Post by Desufire » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:20 pm

teotwawki wrote:
Desufire wrote:
Desufire wrote:Well, he said he's done for now. I'll be submitting the pull request later today after I do a bunch of reading on how to. Something I never got the hang of lol.
So, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but every time I go to submit a Pull Request, it shows me EVERY commit I've made to every branch.

I made a new branch, only made 1 commit for the item_mods.sql, pushed it, and it's still bringing up all of the past commits I've done. So once I can figure out wtf I'm not understanding about github, I'll submit it.
All new branches on github begin life as a 100% duplicate of the master branch (your master, not DSP's master) so it would contain all of your commits to master (this is why we say not to commit to master) if you were using githubs web interface for creating the branch. If using a tool on your pc such as tortosiegit, it varies by tool. One way to ensure your new branch is starting out as a 1:1 copy of darkstars master is to simply clone a fresh copy of darkstar then force push it onto your branch. The same method can be used to "move" your current master to a new named branch and also to over-wright the master branch (careful with force pushes though - you can't undo that, and anything that was there is lost forever).
I tried not to touch the master branch on this fork. When I made it, I created a branch right away and set it to default thinking that would keep the master untouched. But when I merged to update, it would force the corrected comitts to the master.

I'll keep trying. Anyone got any links to tutorials? I use bash to update but I know there's a lot I still don't know how to do.