mysql vs Microsoft SQL Express

dragoonkayne

mysql vs Microsoft SQL Express

Post by dragoonkayne » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Hello, I am extremely new to the forums, I just wanted to quickly give everyone on the Darkstar Project team kudos for their development and effort on the project. I had no idea this type of project even existed until recently.

With that said, I was really anxious to try it all out. I just finished completely setting up a private server and have been playing around with it in my LAN. So far it seems to run pretty well, but sometimes I need to restart mysql to restore functionality.

I'm curious as to why mysql was chosen versus using MS SQL Express. Just from my experiences with databases, I've found that MS SQL is more robust and stable. Also, I don't know if anyone has experience with FFXI retail, but what type of database does SE use for their backend?

- Kayne

atom0s
Developer

Re: mysql vs Microsoft SQL Express

Post by atom0s » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:18 pm

MySQL was chosen because it is portable where MSSQL is not. MySQL is also the more widely used database backend for projects that are similar to this type of thing.
Can't say I agree with you about MSSQL though, from my experiences, MySQL has been lighyears faster and more stable.

As for what SE uses, there is no telling on that end unless someone gets on their server(s) and finds out. I'm willing to be they use MySQL or something else Linux capable given that I highly doubt their servers run on Windows.

dragoonkayne

Post by dragoonkayne » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks for your input. I'll probably try migrating MySQL over to a Linux system instead.

altalus

Post by altalus » Sun May 11, 2014 9:23 am

You can also run MySQL on a windows machine. Especially useful if your dev machine is running Windows and your server is running Linux (yup, my own setup)

wyll001

Post by wyll001 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:41 am

if you want another user suggestion, my would be a program named xampp, it is free, don't requires signing up, have a build-in database editor so you won't need navicat, and some versions also have apache and cloud services

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:08 am

XAMPP is a little overkill for just a database provider. Not to mention it actually uses mysql and heidisql for the gui last I knew, which are both available separately.

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:03 pm

I wouldn't recommend installing bundles like that either as they are typically not setup to be updated easily. For things like databases, web endpoints, and other security critical things, you do not want to compromise the ability to easily update and stay in the loop with security patches just to have the ease of having 1 installer. It is not worth the risks involved especially when most things web related are on rapid release schedules to ensure patches and latest security information and fixes are pushed immediately.

Just alone looking at the current XAMPP installation package:
- Their OpenSSL version is 2 months behind.
- Their PHP version is 4 versions behind.
- Their phpMyAdmin is not even on the same major build revision. (4.1.12 vs 4.2.5)

That is just what is advertised as well on their site, not sure what other little tid-bits are included.