Priority on repairs - WS vs Job Abilities

Kinjishi

Priority on repairs - WS vs Job Abilities

Post by Kinjishi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Considering that the majority of jobs aren't working as intended quite yet, could it have been better to perhaps leave in the broken WS to facilitate playing those jobs? A lot of PLD abilities don't work. RNG's abilities aren't really working either. Removing these weapon skills left a lot of jobs in the dust. It could have waited until after every job was working or at least left with only one or two non-functioning abilities.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Re: Priority on repairs - WS vs Job Abilities

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:24 pm

If you mean on Whasf's server, then that's a conversation to have with Whasf, really.

If you mean in general, just take your Game Server down, change the skill level for those WSs in the database, and start the server back up. They're back. You might have to go as far as removing your weapon and re-equipping it.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 am

Your server can be customized however you would like it to be. If you have any questions regarding how to customize your own server I am happy to help.

If you are saying, however, that implementing new features is more important than fixing bugs, then I will have to respectfully disagree. We aren't toying with the players, here...we are trying to accomplish a goal. The longer the players continued to have those weaponskills, the more blow-back we would have received when we did take them out, regardless of how well balanced things were otherwise.

If you want to ask for a feature, please do it the correct way by posting an enhancement request on the bug tracker. This will help us keep track of what all still needs to be done without people harassing us about it. It will also help us prioritize features to be implemented.

msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:09 pm

I agree with bluekirby0 above; one of my main complaints against the retail version of the game is that SE is in such a hurry to implement new stuff that they haven't gotten around to fixing what they've previously implemented that doesn't work. For example, my Galka goes mining almost every day in Zeruhn Mines for Zinc Ore (he uses every Campaign Op credit for Stock and Awe) and if his inventory is at 34/35 when he uses a pickaxe the game will say that his inventory is full and he won't mine anything until I drop something. Fix what's broke and then put in new stuff. I for one can deal with the weapon skills as they are at this point. Some of them I would have had to wait several years to see in the retail version anyway.

Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 pm

I dont necessarly want new stuff implemented. I would just hope our character abilities, spells, weponskills would work before all the mobs were beefed up with their abilities and skills. I remeber mobs could silence you before the echo drops worked so if you didn't have someone to cast silena on you, you were boned.

gamer7542
Developer

Post by gamer7542 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:52 pm

The problem is that (and please keep in mind this is ALL my opinion) people forget we are a TEST server for the project, who's goal it is to restore FFXI to its state @ the time of RotZ. I'm not picking on you Golgo13, nor am I saying that you are guilty of this, but so many that have joined, bitched on IRC, then left think that we are hosting play servers for their uber fun and enjoyment. As we "fix" problems/bugs/missing stuff it will get harder; just like it was @ RotZ. For those of us who played then, we remember how hard it was. Some of us may not like it that hard, but until we are done with the project (up to this point) we have to deal with it as it is. Whasf is always around in some form or another, so if it gets too hard (i.e. it's not fun to test anymore) you can always ask him (politely) to make some adjustments. Will he? Maybe...

That being said, if something happens that makes it impossible to function as a test server (e.g. the echo drops issue), that definitely needs to be addressed, and we definitely need to know about it.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 pm

As we fix things we try to maintain the balance so it's fair between players and monsters. Example: For the longest time we knew about the bug with having access to weaponskills you weren't supposed to yet. We finally implemented the fix when we felt it like the balance was too far over on the player's side.

There are other bugs that make the game unbalanced (this is not a full list, just what I can think of right now):
  • Monsters can't cast magic (advantage - players)
  • HNMs don't hit hard enough or have fully working abilities / spells (advantage - players)
  • Monsters can see through walls & floors (advantage - monsters)
  • Level gap is ignored in FoV pages when in a party (advantage - players)
  • Alliances don't work (advantage - monsters)
  • Not all items or abilities work (advantage - monsters)
Oh and don't forget you can run faster than 'normal'! (advantage - players)

I'm sorry but I can't make the test server too imbalanced, we are going for an experience that is as close to retail as we can get. Once we are done, server operators can tweak it how ever they want to provide their own unique world. We need you (testers) to make sure we are as close as possible.
-- Whasf

Anthos

Post by Anthos » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Its free (advantage - players)!

codiddle

Post by codiddle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey Whasf, I love the server, love what you're doing here. But I have been wondering about something and this seems like the best place to make this particular request. Would it be possible to make a goofy server, where characters just start out as ungodly beasts, and remove the classic one that nobody plays on? I mean, I could play on my own server, but it's not as fun without all of the people to enjoy the experience with. I probably won't play on it myself, but it seems that most of the population may enjoy something like that as opposed to a realistic server that nobody ever logs into. I would like to play DRG and be able to get my AF and AF2 purchased from an NPC in Rabao or something (like Worndown implemented on his older pXI-based server), and spam Camlann's Torment just to get my rocks off after a day at work. With school starting up, I won't have any time for it, although I thought it maybe a good escape for people that cry about the "nerfs", or otherwise "fixes". Thanks, keep on keepin on. I hope I can soon do more, I'm starting to get involved I just needed some time.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 am

codiddle wrote:Hey Whasf, I love the server, love what you're doing here. But I have been wondering about something and this seems like the best place to make this particular request. Would it be possible to make a goofy server, where characters just start out as ungodly beasts, and remove the classic one that nobody plays on? I mean, I could play on my own server, but it's not as fun without all of the people to enjoy the experience with. I probably won't play on it myself, but it seems that most of the population may enjoy something like that as opposed to a realistic server that nobody ever logs into. I would like to play DRG and be able to get my AF and AF2 purchased from an NPC in Rabao or something (like Worndown implemented on his older pXI-based server), and spam Camlann's Torment just to get my rocks off after a day at work. With school starting up, I won't have any time for it, although I thought it maybe a good escape for people that cry about the "nerfs", or otherwise "fixes". Thanks, keep on keepin on. I hope I can soon do more, I'm starting to get involved I just needed some time.
That'd be great to play on but that really wouldn't help us with moving the project forward from a development prospective.
-- Whasf