radical dreamer

ZoneIDs..

Post by radical dreamer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 am

133 - 85 - Character Creation Map [map shown when you create a character
189 - BD - Mog House in the [S] *Maybe SanD [S]
199 - C7 - Mog house in the [S] *Maybe Bastok [S]
219 - DB - Mog house in the [S] *I think it's Windurst [S]
222 - DE - Provenance

I wanted to see what those maps were, since they're blank in the zoneID.txt, so there they are.

On the subject, I wanted to know what will be done about the new expansion, and the lack of space between 0 and 255 in Zone IDs. Will the server be updated to support zone ids past 255?

whasf
Site Admin

Re: ZoneIDs..

Post by whasf » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 pm

What new expansion? We haven't even gotten to the CoP zones yet...
-- Whasf

radical dreamer

Post by radical dreamer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Sorry I meant Seekers of Adoulin expansion: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Seekers_of_Adoulin

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Wouldn't they have to actually develop the game around the new client for it to be compatible?

I think in cases like this project, what they do is develop the game around a later expansion (wotg in this case), then mask or hide any content / mechanics that isn't related to the desired expansion (zilart).

I also don't think they can just install the new game and everything would work because the servers use custom code that isn't necessarily what the retail servers use.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Flunklesnarkin wrote:I think in cases like this project, what they do is develop the game around a later expansion (wotg in this case), then mask or hide any content / mechanics that isn't related to the desired expansion (zilart)..
Actually, as far as I've seen there's no code in place to "turn off" a specific expansion or content related to it. CoP and onward simply aren't coded. All that can be done right now is to change which expansions show up on the login screens, which also controls what shows up in your Mission log.

Hell, I made the cavernous maws work, but there's no mobs on the other side, most of the gates are closed, and half the time the maw is missing, so you can't get home. :) That patch is still around here somewhere, but it's just not safe to have on an active server.

I've poked the possibility of implementing CoP, but the first cutscene can't be played properly (and is missing about a dozen NPCs) so I kind of gave up on it. bluekirby0 mentioned that someone was working on a better event system that could handle similar scenes, so I figured if that materializes I might try picking the project back up. The promy zones are populated with appropriate level mobs, although idk if mob elements are properly stored. There's something like 4 appearance codes for each mob type, and two animations for each code will determine the element that pops. Play around in AltanaViewer if you want specifics. :)

As for the new expansion... I don't know exactly what SE is doing with the code. bluekirby0 seemed convinced that the "new client" will be perfectly compatible and require minimal work to transition. Worst case scenario, people will have to use some kind of third party download to update their client for Darkstar.

Adding the maps and such? Depends on how they're implemented. I don't know the packet structure personally, although it should be in the source code. If the packet can handle the value and isn't fundamentally changed, it should just be a matter of adjusting the variable used to allow values higher than 255, assuming they aren't already allowed.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Do you guys intend to mask out of expansion content like Maws, FoV books, etc eventually?

Isn't really a huge issue to me atm because I consider the server in beta (and I really enjoyed the game up to WoTG also).

It would just be strange to promote a classic Zilart server that had such content in it.

Even if the content wasn't functional it would appear out of place.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm

I've been curious about that as well. I could see it being done via getMissionStatus() returning a 0 or -1 value if the expansion is disabled, as far as mission content.

Quests, prices, abilities/game balance... those all seem to be a bit more loose, and essentially whatever the person coding prefers. See Hasso/Seigan and Zanshin for an example. They have very modern behavior :) Right now, it seems that making the core stable and making everything "just work" is the priority over customization.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am

Yes, there is time for ironing out the details later. As far as simple customizations, I'm all for implementing them whenever...but something as large-scale as enabling/disabling entire expansion contents would require an immense amount of work touching not only the core, but just about every script and the database as well.