Balances for jobs

Suragata

Balances for jobs

Post by Suragata » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Ive noticed on servers lately that certain jobs have difficulty leveling than others, esp thf.

I would like to propose implementation of Dual Wield for Thief and Dancer at level 10, so that there are a wider range of options of classes. I understand this is a decision for the owners of the server but Id like to get some opinions on it.

Also on retail, red mage can used HTH and archery but do not receive skillups for it. Id like to see that changed.

I also have an idea for flee for thf. In traditional FF games, you could use flee in every battle. My proposal is to decrease the duration and shorten the cooldown. Run for 5-10 seconds, stop, but you can use it again in 1:30 or something like that. This would let you get away a bit easier and traveling long distances would still be as quick. Some abilities are just nerfed to hell by SE, and unnerfing some of them would be nice.

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Balances for jobs

Post by whasf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Go ahead and make those changes, you have the source code! :)
-- Whasf

Suragata

Post by Suragata » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:39 pm

lol i wish it were as easy as you say. I dont plan on runnin my own server, as I dont have linux. Maybe 1 day lol.

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:56 am

THF and DNC already have DW in retail :)

diogee

Post by diogee » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:02 am

thats part of the game design slower to level due to weaker base attacks but they are balanced by having abilities others do not have like steal gilfinder and treasure hunter or the buffs debuffs from dnc

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Suragata wrote:lol i wish it were as easy as you say. I dont plan on runnin my own server, as I dont have linux. Maybe 1 day lol.
Darkstar is aimed at running on Windows, but supports Linux, so no problems there.

Fritos2k

Post by Fritos2k » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 am

I was interested in doing something like this for my personal server, but I'm not the most knowledgable person on programming. What I've done so far is use NaviCat to open the Traits.sql and change dual wield to jobid 0 and lowered the levels for dual wield, i.e. dual wield 1 is lv 1 and then it scales up. My goal is to open up dual wield for all jobs without having to sub Ninja. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Suragata

Post by Suragata » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:18 pm

you took the words right out of my head. I was thinking this earlier. Im getting everything sorted out to build the server for the first time, then i will look in depth in the code to see what i can work with. Is your server up right now, and whats the ip?

edit: id love to see a red mage or any mage dual weilding to increase efficiency in parties and solo. It also would be neat to reduce the cooldown and duration of flee, to make it better lol.

Fritos2k

Post by Fritos2k » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm just running off my pc (localhost), I found that by editing the traits.sql file and changing the JobID, i can access dual wield trait for any selected job at lv 1, but i can't use it. I still get "need dual wield ability to use sub weapon" . I put this after a semi-colon

INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(18, 'dual wield', 1, 1, 0, 259, 10);

and added the jobID , lv but I think i'm missing something for Modifier & Value, I tried 0,0,0,0 for everything like in the first ones but no go. If you change 1 the one to say 9 (beastmaster) you can get Dual Wield trait at lv1 but again it doesn't work. I've been messing around with it here at work during my spare time to figure it out.

Hopefully a solution will come up =)

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:08 pm

i looked around a bit

it looks like it might be the client refusing to allow it, since the server never even gets an equip packet

the 'trait' works (you'll get the dual wield delay reduction) but i don't think it'll be possible to let people dual-wield when the client think they shouldn't be