Beastmen and gils

altalus

Beastmen and gils

Post by altalus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Not sure if this would be better in the scripting board but...

Would there be a "best" approach at including a lua file to every beastmen lua ?

for example, in zone/west_sarutabaruta/mobs/Yagudo_*.lua I would include something like:

Code: Select all

require("/scripts/globals/mobs/beastmen.lua");
require("/scripts/globals/mobs/yagudo.lua");
That way you *could* define family wide abilities, spells, and functions ?

Something like this that you could call in the onMobDeath() of the mob ?:

Code: Select all

function dropGilOnDeath(mob, killer)
   -- Check level and give players the gils
end
Is this possible or even a good idea ? Or would it be better to do it on each individua on onMobDeath() ?

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Beastmen and gils

Post by whasf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm

I think ideally it would be stored in the database and used in the core. Calling scripts is a lot slower than executing native C++ code
-- Whasf

altalus

Post by altalus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:35 pm

whasf wrote:I think ideally it would be stored in the database and used in the core. Calling scripts is a lot slower than executing native C++ code
I know about the speed, but wondered also about things like family wide FoV pages and such :)

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 pm

altalus wrote:
whasf wrote:I think ideally it would be stored in the database and used in the core. Calling scripts is a lot slower than executing native C++ code
I know about the speed, but wondered also about things like family wide FoV pages and such :)
Anything that's outside the scope of the retail game won't be accepted into Darkstar. We are striving for as close to retail as possible to give everyone a base to build off of. If you want to do what you're suggesting for your server (and share with others on here or elsewhere) that's fine, just don't expect us to accept it. :)

I'm not trying to be harsh, i'm just saying it as it is!! :)
-- Whasf

altalus

Post by altalus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm

whasf wrote: Anything that's outside the scope of the retail game won't be accepted into Darkstar. We are striving for as close to retail as possible to give everyone a base to build off of. If you want to do what you're suggesting for your server (and share with others on here or elsewhere) that's fine, just don't expect us to accept it. :)

I'm not trying to be harsh, i'm just saying it as it is!! :)
Actually I am suggesting to fix it as in retail. Lemme explain.

Some pages ask to kill X number of monsters of the Y family (aka page 1 of East Ronfore that ask "6 Pugil Family"). As it stands now, we would need to add to ALL monsters of that family in ALL the zones the script to checkRegime. I find this tedious and un-productive.

Just my 2 cents.

Also I go no feedback on 2 patch I submitted that try to fix things in a retail way... not wanting to be harsh here either, but I would like to know if I should keep on submitting things or not :)