Come play FFXI The way it used to be

For discussions on the public old-school server
freeze666

Re: Come play FFXI The way it used to be

Post by freeze666 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:37 pm

getting error 3001 on this server been playin 3 days w no problems. Now i have no luck gettin in game gets stuck at downloading screen after char select any help would be awesome

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:47 am

freeze666 wrote:getting error 3001 on this server been playin 3 days w no problems. Now i have no luck gettin in game gets stuck at downloading screen after char select any help would be awesome
It's crashing in a way that it's not auto-recoverable. I updated this morning so it should be good now.
-- Whasf

tagban

Post by tagban » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:06 pm

It was when someone created a char. Due to the BLOB SQL update. It was fixed though so should be good. :)

Kiritsu

Post by Kiritsu » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:26 pm

I like how people call this a "hard mode" server when it's really just a true-to-the-original-game server. I see alll of these people starting up private servers only to radically change how the game works, which is really defeating the purpose, isn't it? The entire reason private server projects began (or so I assumed) was as a reaction to SE destroying FFXI with 'easy mode' updates (FoV, solo XP boost, mob depop code, level cap increase, new weapons rendering precious legacy items junk, Abyssea, etc etc.) and wanting to set things right by reverting to the original balances of how the game played (party-biased, tedious, dangerous, etc.). In other words, to try and make the game even easier than SE has been is to completely defeat the purpose of private servers, in my humble opinion. Why not just play retail then? Retail is very easy now. The main joy of FFXI is the slow and steady progression that allows you to relish every step of the way and actually give you time to smell the roses. Unlike many games, or current XI, where you are leveling so fast that you never really appreciate or have time to enjoy what you currently have. It's a horrible form of conditioning and feeds into the ADHD symptoms of gaming culture (which is not good).

Not to mention imparting a real fear of dying, which most other MMOs do not have...

Anyway, I'm really digging the old school server, as it seems very true to the original game, from what I've experienced so far, and I hope there will be more players joining and show support!

What would be really awesome is if we could get official SE support for the legacy server project (yea I know, like that will ever happen...).