Lower it to retail speed
56%
Keep it the way it is
44%

Total votes: 18

Arken

Re: Change movement speed?

Post by Arken » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:00 pm

I think arguments have been lain for both sides sufficiently, so I'll only say that should the run speed stay as is then the server summary and possibly the name of the server should be altered.

Whatever has been said against changing the movement speed back to retail, I think most people are in agreement that the server should state anything outside of the boundaries of "classic" and most certainly anything that is custom.

Zedingo
Developer

Post by Zedingo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:47 pm

I just wanted to point something out.
Flunklesnarkin wrote:I'll vote for turning it off because the server is meant to be classic. Might as well go classic all the way.

If you decide to leave it the way it is until the monster wandering issues are fixed it won't bother me though.

Reraise scrolls are only 7 conquest points right now :D
classic all the way. only 7 conquest points
That's not classic at ALL.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Zedingo, if you want to be responsible for maintaining a separate branch that fixes these little inconsistencies between current retail and old retail, be my guest. It would mainly involve modifying database tables. Otherwise, its just not practical for the health of the project to split our focus maintaining things both ways.

Zedingo
Developer

Post by Zedingo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with it. I'm just a little amazed that someone would ask for something to be classic FFXI then applaud something that's Abyssea-FFXI in the same post.

Perhaps one day closer to completion when things aren't being changed around so much, someone, maybe myself, can sift through and make all the changes necessary for a true classic server.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:33 pm

The project will eventually need that overall, to be honest. I don't think the dev team has ever denied that it will be necessary. The current Hasso/Seigan behavior is very modern, Sekkanoki is L60 instead of 80 cap's L40, Thief and Dancer just received innate Dual Wield (80 or 85 cap), NIN has Innin/Yonin... Current behavior is wildly inconsistent.

At this point in the development cycle, the stance seems to be "lets get everything working before worrying about customizing and standardizing things."

No one will agree on which era is best, and even if they do, some people will argue for concessions (cheap reraise scrolls, restocking AH) to balance against the lack of 1,500 player communities. It's just easier to avoid getting mired in that for now.

Edit:
I wonder if an eventual solution would be an array of variables with the appropriate value for each major patch? That'd be a pretty big array though. Probably performance crushing.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:06 pm

PrBlahBlahtson wrote:The current Hasso/Seigan behavior is very modern, Sekkanoki is L60 instead of 80 cap's L40

hehe, they didn't even have those in classic i don't think

the main problem (in my opinion) with coding for anything other than right now is finding correct information for everything. it's hard enough finding information for up to date stuff in the first place

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Right now the speed boost is +20, I am cutting that to +10 so you will still move a little faster than "normal". This is to compensate for the fact that monsters can take shortcuts through walls that players can't.

When we have a working collision system I will revisit the running speed on the "classic" server.
-- Whasf

Zedingo
Developer

Post by Zedingo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 am

kjLotus wrote:
PrBlahBlahtson wrote:The current Hasso/Seigan behavior is very modern, Sekkanoki is L60 instead of 80 cap's L40

hehe, they didn't even have those in classic i don't think

the main problem (in my opinion) with coding for anything other than right now is finding correct information for everything. it's hard enough finding information for up to date stuff in the first place
We had Hasso/Seigan before WOTG, but not Sekkanoki.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Zedingo wrote:
That's not classic at ALL.
I know, I made a bug report about it a while ago. I'm all about 100% classic but I think scrolls being cheaper is a decent compromise.

Ultimately when the server is 100%, I wouldn't have a problem with the run speed being faster, if the monsters were equally faster.

If players get +10 or +20 then all monsters get +10 or +20

That way the only real change is how "small" the world feels as a result of your ability to traverse it faster.

Current set up is fine by me.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Zedingo wrote:We had Hasso/Seigan before WOTG, but not Sekkanoki.
My point was the inconsistency. Also, Hasso and Seigan behavior was changed when SAM got their turn at the buff table, post-Abyssea. Source.