56%
Keep it the way it is
44%

Total votes: 18

whasf
Site Admin

Change movement speed?

Post by whasf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Should the movement speed be lowered? Keep in mind since monsters don't see walls this may cause more deaths. Keep a reraise scroll handy.

Please vote, the poll will stay up for 4 days.
-- Whasf

iamnotalolicon

Re: Change movement speed?

Post by iamnotalolicon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Oh my, that's an incredibly fast response...
I didn't realise that the speed change was in response to a mob issue. I also voted before I read that, oops... disregard that for now. So nothing blocks their line of sight, is that what you're saying?
I also assume that once that gets fixed, the movement speed will be back to normal, right?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 pm

iamnotalolicon wrote:Oh my, that's an incredibly fast response...
I didn't realise that the speed change was in response to a mob issue. I also voted before I read that, oops... disregard that for now. So nothing blocks their line of sight, is that what you're saying?
I also assume that once that gets fixed, the movement speed will be back to normal, right?
mobs will walk through walls

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:48 pm

iamnotalolicon wrote:So nothing blocks their line of sight, is that what you're saying?
Right now the server is kind of blind as far as where walls and obstacles are. There's an effort to fix that eventually, but until that's done, mobs can aggro you through anything and walk anywhere they want, including through otherwise empty space. For example in Sky, a Groundskeeper can absolutely walk "off" of a ledge, "through" the gap, and then pops back into sight when it reaches another valid surface.

That's why mobs don't walk yet. They'd constantly be walking through walls/floors and making things a mess :)

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:42 pm

I'll vote for turning it off because the server is meant to be classic. Might as well go classic all the way.

If you decide to leave it the way it is until the monster wandering issues are fixed it won't bother me though.

Reraise scrolls are only 7 conquest points right now :D

iamnotalolicon

Post by iamnotalolicon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm

PrBlahBlahtson wrote:
iamnotalolicon wrote:So nothing blocks their line of sight, is that what you're saying?
Right now the server is kind of blind as far as where walls and obstacles are. There's an effort to fix that eventually, but until that's done, mobs can aggro you through anything and walk anywhere they want, including through otherwise empty space. For example in Sky, a Groundskeeper can absolutely walk "off" of a ledge, "through" the gap, and then pops back into sight when it reaches another valid surface.

That's why mobs don't walk yet. They'd constantly be walking through walls/floors and making things a mess :)
Oh dear. That does sound like a mess!
I see where you're all coming from now, but at the same time I see what Flunklesnarkin is saying. It's nice to have a temporary (I assume) fix for this, but at the same time it's nice for it to be classic and have to take the bad with the good. I'm a little on the fence now.
I haven't really had a chance to play yet, just joined and have been running around towns and immediate areas, so I can't really say anything because I don't know how much the speedboost helps in those more difficult combat situations.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

It only really comes into play when you are trying to run from stuff.

Close in dungeons might have a problem with aggro through walls like palborough mines or Garlaige Citadel, but for the most part it's manageable as long as you keep in mind monsters aren't restricted in the ways they can move right now.

iamnotalolicon

Post by iamnotalolicon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Fair enough!
Seeing how often this server updates and how hard the devs work I have faith that it will be fixed :)

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Idk how difficult it is to set up a system like that. I've been following EQClassic also and one of the developers over there said it was difficult to do all the line of sight algorithms by hand so he made a graphic node validation tool. Ie. if the monster is chasing you it will follow pathing nodes when it bumps into landscape features that block the most direct route to you.

It looks like with the tool he can just click on the node cubes and make pathways that monsters will follow.

Here is a video, I though it was pretty cool. Maybe it will give you an idea on how to easily set up a similar system.

Skip to around 1:20 to see him starting to put up nodes. Before that it's just wandering around the 3D terrain of the zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXVRYqnyrcI

SnakekillerX

Post by SnakekillerX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 am

I also voted "keep as is" but I'm hoping that came across as.. Players move faster, monsters stay retail speed.
With the lack of AI pathing, and aggro range being so large, slowing the player down again is just brutal. Plus I just feel so use to the speed boost it would feel painfully slow now.. lol

The people I play with and I find the way it is currently set to be most fun. (Nanako aka DarkSlayerEX, BoogieWoogie, Dash and Darkart)
I doubt I could convince any of them to actually register here to vote, but I know they would vote the same as I, we've often discussed it in the past.
Plus from my/others experience re-raise scrolls seem to be very hit and miss and only work some of the time. :(