Puppetmaster - Repairing It

Puppet Master
Curly

Puppetmaster - Repairing It

Post by Curly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:52 pm

So I've taken a nice read through the forums and I see a lot of people don't much care for Puppetmaster, but I Curly, shall stand up and fight for it! Puppetmaster was my very first job in FFXI and I fell in love with it, then for the next 6 years it became my love, my passion and my science. I'm from the Ultros Private Server and our Puppetmaster isn't working, it's unlocked but you can't change frames or use attachments. I'm here to figure out why and to see what diagnosis (if any) can be done to restore the glory that is Puppetmaster. I love the job because it's very unique, it functions as a fun solo job because you can build your Automaton the way you see fit. Need a tank? Build it. Need a Ranger. Build it. Need a Magic DPS? Build it! Need a Healer? Build it! Need a Support? BUILD IT! There's just so many endless possibilities and combinations with Puppetmaster and their very wide variety of parts and weapons. I just don't see why the job has to go unused and forgotten. Can we please get some people to look into this? If I knew how to code I'd do it myself. But I'm on board with any projects one might have or knowledge one might share with me to bring back to my server so we can get a fully functioning Automaton! :D

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: Puppetmaster - Repairing It

Post by kjLotus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:58 pm

i work on it when i have time

(fyi: you can change frames and attachments lol, I fixed those over a year ago :p)

Curly

Post by Curly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm

kjLotus wrote:i work on it when i have time

(fyi: you can change frames and attachments lol, I fixed those over a year ago :p)
Weird. It's not working on our server, any chance you could come over and give us a hand? Our GMs I think are confused just as I am as to why it's not working.

I was told the frames won't work properly with the Automaton. :D Any help would be appreciated! ^^ Mew mew!

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:14 pm

they don't work if you are a GM and didn't actually unlock the job or frames, maybe that's why they think it doesn't (all you have to do is unlock the job, then do the extra quests to unlock the frames etc, just like retail)

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:15 pm

mind you, the automaton is still not very useful, as it doesn't use any WS or cast any spells yet, and all attachments don't do anything

Curly

Post by Curly » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I see. So is there anything that can be done about the attachments? My question is this, I thought that on the XI private servers they ran off the retail updates. Which must mean the Automatons on retail have to have some form of code so that they'll work yeah? It wouldn't make much sense for them to just break once they're on the private server.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:46 pm

nothing to be done about attachments until me or someone scripts them

as for your question, no, the client does not do any AI - it only does what the server tells it to do (perhaps you don't understand where the separation between client and server are - retail client updates are pretty much just models and cutscenes, everything else is controlled by the server)

azulthewise

Post by azulthewise » Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 am

KJ so what progress has been made in the year youve been working on it. Also , what can be done to assisnt other than being a developer. I'm sure more people wish to see this and geo working :)

bluesolarflare

Post by bluesolarflare » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:42 pm

I've actually taken an interest in scripting some things for PUP. I've found that attachments should be fairly easy to do once the core has the proper entities to count how many effects of a certain type are up. One of the forks I saw that had RUN had this implemented into the core, so calling that function made attachments fairly straight forward to script. For example, I have Auto-Repair Kit scripted so that it looks at the amount of light maneuvers are active when a maneuver is gained. So if one Light Maneuver is up, it adds at 3 Tic/Regen mod to the automaton. When you use any other Maneuver, it will still call the function and see that one light maneuver is up, however, I have added logic to prevent Regen from stacking on itself even though only one Maneuver is up. When the effect is lost, it simply removes the effect of Regen.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:22 pm

I added functions for that a few months ago, actually

you can even see the POC in scripts/globals/abilities/pets/attachments