Third Eye

Samurai
Flunklesnarkin

Third Eye

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I was leveling up my samurai today and I noticed some odd behavior in the way Third Eye works.

Third eye is suppose to function one way normally then another way when the ability Seigan is active.

My samurai is only level 19 right now so it does not have access to Seigan.

You are only suppose to be able to absorb one attack with third eye normally.

However currently, Third Eye can absorb a weapon skill attack, and a regular attack after. It appears that only normal swings make the Third Eye "shadow" get used.

The Third Eye "shadow" should always be used up when absorbing a weapon skill attack (when seigan is not active).

Third Eye was changed a lot during FFXI but that aspect of it was always so.

Here is a link to an archive of Third Eye from Nov 2007 and it also goes into some details of the patch history of third eye.

http://web.archive.org/web/200711120427 ... /Third_Eye

And of course here is the current retail FFXI implementation of Third Eye. Both versions should work as described above.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Third_Eye

I wrote a bug report on the bug tracker

http://bugs.dspt.info/show_bug.cgi?id=358

This was tested on Revision 2055

Flunklesnarkin

Re: Third Eye

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:45 pm

I think this is mostly cosmetic, even though the third eye shadow remains in your buffs, if you get hit again it doesn't absorb anything. At least so far as my testing has gone.

The third eye shadow doesn't properly disappear from the buff bar after getting hit by a weaponskill, so it's more of a minor bug right now.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:55 am

So what you're saying is that only auto-attack swings break third eye, and TP moves are ignored. Seems valid. I may poke it if it takes exceptionally long to get any attention.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 am

Well TP moves are absorbed by third eye and you get the "anticipated attack" message, but the shadow stays in the buff window and doesn't wear off until the full 30 second life of the buff is up. Then you get the message "Third Eye has worn off."

If you get hit again by anything before the 30 second life of the third eye shadow, the buff icon wears off automatically and nothing is absorbed. You only get one attack absorbed no matter what, there is just a discrepancy between getting hit and the third eye icon disappearing from your buffs.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:36 am

Thanks for clarifying. A quick glance at the script shows it's handled pretty much core side, so not much I can do personally.