Developer

Re: Thief Animations

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Bugs go on the bug tracker.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:05 pm

for sure, ill make a bug thread a little later,

but with the amount of incorrect animations i thought it might be easier to have a place to discuss them all.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Technically this isn't even a bug since it's not implemented, but I have yet to come up with an explanation for how to tell the difference which won't be completely misinterpreted by someone, somewhere. These "bugs" get reported often, vocally, and repeatedly, and no one ever seems to actually use search to see if they've been reported before. I'm trying not to go off here, but this is like the third or fourth time. On the new forums.

To strip out a lot of the confusion, here's about everything you need to know, top to bottom.

Someone has the packet for this, so the animation for Steal/Mug can be fixed with relative ease. It hasn't been since it's kind of silly to fix the animation and not make it do anything, because then people will just complain that it does nothing.
Scripting it is pretty straight forward.
The big hangup is that Steal needs to know what can be stolen and the percentage rate for success. This means someone has to build the table and do all the research to fill that table with hundreds (thousands?) of rows. There's a partial list in mob_droplist under type=2, but it's miles away from completion.

So there's steal/mug in a nutshell. Scraping the wiki for data might speed up the process, but it'll still be hours of pure research and data entry.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:11 pm

yar, sorry to have spammed you with it.

I'm not a coder by any means.

I thought it might be helpful if I or others could talk about an animation, then identify what the animation actually belongs too.

So it would be easier for people doing the coding to match up where it should go.