what is what?

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
korn16ftl3

what is what?

Post by korn16ftl3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:45 pm

So im reading around wikipedia gathering more information and i pull up a wikipedia page for "project Darkstar" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Darkstar and there seems to be a lot of useful information about the actual project darkstar there that are not mentioned other places i have read for example:
Project Darkstar was an open source MMOG middleware solution written in Java. Project Darkstar began as a personal project of Jeff Kesselman in 1999. It later became a research project at Sun Microsystems,[1] and aimed to "help developers and operators avoid a range of serious, yet typical, problems associated with massive scale online games, virtual worlds, and social networking applications today, including zone overloading, data corruption, and server underutilization."[2][3] February 2, 2010, Oracle shut down the project, and a community fork has been made called RedDwarf Server.
This obviously leads me to wonder...what exactly is this "RedDwarf Server" so i pulled up the wiki on that as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RedDwarf_Server

this as well talks about being "an open source middleware solution for developing the server-side of massively multiplayer online games"
and has further information on it as well.

what comes to mind for me is.....what in the world do the FFXI public servers use? RedDwarf or the Project DarkStar middleware solution?

are both of them interchangeable with each other seeing as how RedDwarf is aparently based from and deviated from the actual Project DarkStar?

If they are interchangeable what are some differences that i can expect to see between using the 2? I mean is one of them more stable than the other? things like this.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: what is what?

Post by kjLotus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:56 pm

darkstar project != project darkstar

korn16ftl3

Post by korn16ftl3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 pm

kjLotus wrote:darkstar project != project darkstar
i figured as much lol

im curious as to the difference between the 2 tho....has/does any one here use or participate the RedDwarf server project? is it more up to date seeing as how the actual darkstar project was discontinued and aparently changed to the above mentioned RedDwarf Server?

Are forks and changed made to RedDwarf server able to be made to darkstar as well seeing as how they both seem to be born from the same project?

and my most important question is are they interchangeable? I.E. can i run an FFXI server on RedDwarf server just as well as on project darkstar?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm

oh, in that case

i don't even know what project darkstar is, no help here

korn16ftl3

Post by korn16ftl3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 pm

kjLotus wrote:oh, in that case

i don't even know what project darkstar is, no help here
hmmm now im completely curious LOL. perhaps some one else will know what is going on here then....if u read the wiki links i posted specifically the one for project darkstar it explains a lot...but as i said...what exactly is going on behind the FFXI servers...RedDwarf or project darkstar? and if it is project darkstar...then why....the wiki says it has been discontinued and the dev for project darkstar migrated to RedDwarf....so that is why all this has raised questions in my mind any how

tagban

Post by tagban » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 am

Korn, I read thru the wiki entry, I believe you're confusing yourself a little. "Project Darkstar" was a Java based server engine for MMORPG's, written by Sun Microsystems, they apparently killed the project, in favor of a newer style of doing things called "RedDwarf", which appears to also be dead from what I see. (reddwarf.org is gone which is what it links to in the wiki entry).

This is not the same as the "DarkStar Project", which is based for Final Fantasy XI MMORPG Server Emulation. It emulates a real Final Fantasy XI server, and was written in C++. Since the two really have nothing to do with eachother other than the word "DarkStar" and "Project" (albeit flipped the other way!), there really isn't a means for comparison.

Best Regards,
Tagban