Recent updates

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
jono659

Recent updates

Post by jono659 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am

I notice that a good many of the recent updates or rewrites (#5278, #5274) we are shuffling things about again.

While I appreciate that the idea to streamline and prepare for the future, they cause a considerable amount of work and I sometimes wonder why there isn't as much work done on content when so much remains to be done.

I have stopped updating some revisions ago as I simply do not have the time to be constantly changing things while also trying to work on content.

I see all the all the mob and text IDs, are merging into another .lua (local Id), and, along with the 2 revisions above, this will of course mean more work for hardworking, long suffering GMs.

I am sad to say that in my humble opinion style has become more important than substance in the Dark Star Project. I will continue to run my server, but can't really see myself updating any further.

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Recent updates

Post by whasf » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 pm

?? How is it more work for GMs?
We're making things easier by consolidating globally used constants, no need to do searches across hundreds of text files when something gets or needs to be updated.
-- Whasf

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Recent updates

Post by TeoTwawki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:58 am

if this is causing more work for you, you haven't been properly maintaining your fork - git pull does all of the changes automatically for you. The only things you would need to take care of would be your own custom things that could either trigger conflicts after the pull, and format changes that impact your custom content.

if you are having to edit your files manually you are doing it wrong or you have custom content in the way.

We're making things easier by consolidating globally used constants, no need to do searches across hundreds of text files when something gets or needs to be updated.
also when a key item and a mission have the same name (example). no more collisions creating bugs.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS