General info about the GM-Only client

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
billnes11229

General info about the GM-Only client

Post by billnes11229 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting some general information about the specialized client that's used only by GMs. It would be greatly appreciated if someone would share their knowledge.

The following is a excerpt from the 2006 leaked GM manual. This text is found in section 7.9, pages 53-54. This section is entitled GM Commands.
Within the GM Client, GM commands exist that common players cannot access. This feature allows the GMs to be able to transfer a character, change the running speed of a character, check the information of a character, and more. With these GM commands, GMs can rescue stuck players or respond to harassment or grief tactics. Although this function is necessary in GM operations, using the function in an inappropriate matter may result in negative influence within the game world. All GMs need to understand the function and purpose of using the GM commands. Please be very careful when using the GM commands.
Section 7.9 continues on to give a partial listing of the GM-Only Commands. This list is found on pages 54-55. There is a different section in this leaked manual about "forbidden commands". I decided to leave that out to stop this post from becoming too long.

It seems as if there must be a corresponding DLL for each one of the GM-Only commands. Here, I'm using //gm reqpost <t> as an example. It seems fairly obvious that someplace within the installation of the GM-Only client there must be a reqpost.dll... If this is inaccurate, clarification would be greatly appreciated.

To the best of my understanding: For the GM-Only command DLL's to work, the character must be flagged as a GM. If a regular player, without the red GM flag acquired and correctly installed (copied them over to the correct directores within the player client) the DLL's still wouldn't work. Without a GM flag, correctly installed GM-Only command DLL's would still be locked and dormant. Again, if this is inaccurate, clarification would be greatly appreciated.

billnes11229

Re: General info about the GM-Only client

Post by billnes11229 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 am

Someone on the FFXIAH.COM forums was nice enough to help me. The info they gave me was informative and insightful. It was exactly what I was looking for. It answered my question perfectly. Please feel free to consider this thread closed.

------ Copied & Pasted from the FFXIAH.COM Forums ------

By Odin.Juliano 2020-03-21 07:25:46
Link | Block | Pm | Quote | Reply | Report | Score: 0 +

God damn this place is full of idiots.

Private servers work by emulating what the real server does. They manage the server state (things happening like mobs spawning and moving), they keep and manage a database to store everything they need to store, and they interact with clients by sending and receiving & responding proper packets so that the client can interpret and display what it needs to for the game to work.

This isn't Ragnarok Online where the actual server files were leaked. Everything built is from scratch to emulate the way the server works, as described above.

Since we don't have access to GM commands, or since they require specific client files or changes that we don't have access to, GM commands have been built as custom commands that were scripted to do whatever they need to do. That means when a GM (known to the server by a field in the account table) use a GM command, which, by the way, is a !command that everyone can see (because if you type an unknown /command that the client itself rejects... The client doesn't send a packet for the server to intercept), the server picks that up and runs a script to accomplish that command.

TL;DR, this is not going to help you.

(Now, there -----may----- be some people who have worked on DSP, or more likely who have worked on windower, that -----may----- have some insight on this, but I highly doubt they will share that kind of knowledge.)