New client

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
eg0e

New client

Post by eg0e » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 am

I realise this is a large enough project making a server, but does anyone know of a project to re-make the client with better graphics engine/etc?

whasf
Site Admin

Re: New client

Post by whasf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I think it's called FFXIV version 2.0
-- Whasf

Lyle

Post by Lyle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:45 pm

whasf wrote:I think it's called FFXIV version 2.0
ha.

Sad thing about 14 is that they may have to do 3.0 if they rush this remake like they did for 1.x. Personally, they would be better off scraping the whole project and move on to 15, or do away with FF completely. It seems like every new title gets worse and worse.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:33 am

Aside from a joking conversation I has with someone in the Windower.net irc channel, I've not heard of any efforts to make a custom client. Honestly, it would be a bit of a vain effort since it is hard to hit a moving target (much moreso on the client end than the server) unless you truly parse all of the game info from the original client files without taking any shortcuts.

On another note, supposedly prior to the release of the next expansion should be the release of an "improved" official client with customizable UI elements and other shiney details. No word on whether it will be upgraded to at least use a better rendering engine than DX8, but if the rendering engine is updated, I'd put my bets on DirectX9 at best (not that this is a bad compromise in any way...and a HUGE improvement over DX8).

And more on the topic of improving graphics, it is possible with the help of certain mods. I managed to get FFXI looking markedly better using a specific version of ENBSeries designed for one of the older GTA games. The reason nobody uses it? It doesn't play nice with Windower, so you can only have one or the other.