Wiki down?

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Dreamsender

Wiki down?

Post by Dreamsender » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Is the wiki down? I'm having problems accessing it. Didn't see a post mentioning planned down time, just wondering.

bluekirby0
Developer

Re: Wiki down?

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:13 am

Sorry, the backups had filled the hard-drive during my prolonged absence and needed a bit of cleaning up before I could get it running again. I'll have to figure out a better system for backups in the future, but for the foreseeable future, only monthly backups will remain older than 30 days.

Wolke
Developer

Post by Wolke » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:10 am

Why not put the wiki on whasf's server and use the one on your server as the backup?
Debugger are for sissies! Real men compile directly onto the master CD.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:17 am

That'd be whasf's call. It'd be pretty effortless to migrate the wiki for whoever wants to do it, but it can be a bit of a pain to maintain since wikis make prime spammer targets.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 am

I edit a few wiki's and there are some really nice free captcha's that can all but stop spammers.

Here is the link on wikipedia.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit

I've had good luck with ReCaptcha but I really enjoy the questycaptcha (ffxiclopedia uses a version of this) also for game lore that you can create.

For a small wiki like this I'm sure a free account verification like that would stop most if not all attempted spam.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I tried various things, but in the end the only thing that worked was a combination of account creation with Asirra verification (pick out the cats from a randomly generated group of cat and dog pics) and a honeypot. Even now a few things slip through but they usually get caught in the honeypot before they can actually edit anything.