Opinions on increasing EXP multiplier?

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Striped Shirt

Opinions on increasing EXP multiplier?

Post by Striped Shirt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 pm

It's no secret that the recent fixes to Fields of Valor have driven away a lot of players who are unwilling to invest that much time and effort into a test server, so assuming that wasn't the intention, has anyone given any thought to increasing the EXP multiplier a bit more? It may encourage people to form regular parties again, rather than spamming the same FoV until 75.

Lyle

Re: Opinions on increasing EXP multiplier?

Post by Lyle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:41 pm

What is Field of Valor? Must of been implemented after I quit the game years ago.

I know that with an average population of 16 on server at any given time it is next to impossible for anyone to just farm a party like on a retail server. The whole purpose of a test server, is to well, test. As long as we have active members in all level ranges checking out everything in their level range and reporting what they find then there is no need. With that being said we need people to try everything, including things that no one would normally do for exp, loot or advancement.

I say have admin. take a look at accounts and login times and modify exp modifiers dynamically.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:10 pm

You missed out when we had 30-70 people on at once.. People got bored with the lack of content and stuff not working correctly and left. The higher the exp rate the quicker you'll get to the caps and realize there's not much to do yet.
-- Whasf

Striped Shirt

Post by Striped Shirt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 am

whasf wrote:You missed out when we had 30-70 people on at once.. People got bored with the lack of content and stuff not working correctly and left. The higher the exp rate the quicker you'll get to the caps and realize there's not much to do yet.
Exactly, it's not ready for earnest play. I was here during the population boom and I'm still here now, so I'm confident when I say that it wasn't the lack of content that was turning people off, at least not the people I played with. Many of us were still having fun long after we had "done everything", and spent the time leveling new jobs to try new things, bugtest changes, help friends, and wait patiently for what came next. You know, the FFXI experience.

But the last few weeks have really split the community and made that difficult. Leveling a new job now demands a significantly larger time investment, one that's really out of place on an test server. Not only could we no longer level new jobs at a reasonable pace, we couldn't help others do it either. The only thing left for us to do was sit and wait for the next update while watching the lower level players become bored trying to slowly solo their way through their levels. The problem isn't that people run out of things to do; we've got a bunch of people who still want to play, but they're turned off because they can't play together.

Obviously the fixes to Fields of Valor were only making it work how it was meant, but the server as it stands just isn't ready for proper play. But many of us still want to continue playing here and see this project succeed, so I'm trying to think of alternatives.