Project Overview & Goals

bluekirby0
Developer

Project Overview & Goals

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 am

From the old forums:
The Dark Star Project Team goal is the reproduction of the experience from Final Fantasy XI with the Zilart Expansion.

In FFXI and Zilart alone there are so much to do. There are 15 jobs and hundreds of quests & missions.

When this goal is accomplished, the Dark Star Project Team will re-evaluate.
I prefer to think of all content through "Rise of the Zilart" as the first milestone. I would be happy to assign a real version number to the project once that goal is reached (and all outstanding major bugs handled).

What that means is, work on other things is perfectly acceptable and at the discretion of the individual, but we will, as a group, be able to say we truly accomplished something once we reach this milestone.

The major consensus of users at the moment is to not include Abyssea content. That does not mean you may not make Abyssea contributions, but if you put together any of the core infrastructure, please include options to easily and effectively disable it at the individual server administrator's discretion.

Now as a personal goal, I would like to make this server as configurable and flexible as possible. As a current means towards that goal, I am constantly adding new configuration options and maintaining Linux portability. In the long run, I would like for server administrators to be able to tweak all major infrastructures and enable/disable groups of content easily and efficiently.

korn16ftl3

Re: Project Overview & Goals

Post by korn16ftl3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm

how close is this benchmark to being completed?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm

korn16ftl3 wrote:how close is this benchmark to being completed?
not very

Silverwolf

Post by Silverwolf » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:34 am

How close is it now?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Silverwolf wrote:How close is it now?
not much farther than last time it was asked

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Sorry, couldn't resist xD

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Delaide wrote:Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Sorry, couldn't resist xD
i'm the only driver!

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 pm

And we appreciate what you do for us KJ. I am trying to learn to help out, but honestly, when I look at the code, it sort of goes over my head currently. I am starting to piece it together, but not sure how long before I can do anything really helpful. Some people tend to complain, but honestly, I think they are just short sighted and not looking at all you have done to bring us something wonderful.

Until then, I am just doing what I can in trying to track down what may still be missing or flawed, like the missing spell list. Then, at least we know what needs to be looked into, and hopefully will help provide good references for you and others who are contributing. I can at least do that much.

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AzodTPG5U

We need some up to date lists of whats missing for the older expansions, so us code monkeys can be better at easing dev burden.

Pay no mind to my short attention span. I'll finish those NMs and ACP eventually. Oh look, a magian moogle! /em wanders off
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

Silverwolf

Post by Silverwolf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Well I just wanted to thank you KJ and others that are working on the project. It seems like things are working well and very stable. The battle system is much improved. I have been watching and playing on various servers here since 2012 ish.. I wish I could be more help.