Server Behind Router issue

ZeroX585

Server Behind Router issue

Post by ZeroX585 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 am

I have an interesting setup for my servers....

I have 2 computers behind a router, with one of the computers being a DS server. The other computer is being used as a client.

I originally had it setup so that my IP addresses were all local, so my server and client machines would all use the router assigned IP addresses (192.168.x.x), thus only being used for computers behind my router.

Then, I had a family member from outside my network connect to my server, and knowing that I have to change the IP address of the map server to allow incoming connections, I did this and it was successful.

I have run into a problem though. The PC behind my router that I use to test play can no longer connect to the game. I have changed my client IP address destination to my external IP but it "can't find server".

So, here is the main question....

Is it possible to have two computers behind a router, one being a server, and one being a client, with the DS server machine set to accept connections OUTSIDE the router, and be able to use my client PC (behind the router) to connect to my server behind the router, as well?

Basically, is it possible for a server that is behind a router, to allow both computers inside and outside the router's network to connect to it?

Thank you.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Re: Server Behind Router issue

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am

Hairpin routing. This has come up on the forums before. I think Bluekirby0 posted about it quite recently, potentially with a fix.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 am

PrBlahBlahtson wrote:Hairpin routing. This has come up on the forums before. I think Bluekirby0 posted about it quite recently, potentially with a fix.
he was saying on irc he had a fix for it, but i haven't looked into it myself (as it's not an issue for me)

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 am

You have two options here depending on what client you prefer. You can use Ashita if you want plugins or FFXI-Boot Mod version 2b if you just want a simple loader. Pay attention to the bolded text about hairpinning since this is what you need to do!

Just as a note, when using the --hairpin option, use the LAN address to log in, not the public one.

ZeroX585

Post by ZeroX585 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 am

Thank you bluekirby, I got it after a bit of work and tweaking.

I am using the Ashita method, and it works fine. I appreciate the assistance.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 am

No problem, glad I could help! I'm also glad to know someone is actually using that hack since atom0s and I worked pretty hard on it!

diminish

Post by diminish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Does this Ashita have to be updated before it will work? ffevo seems to be down or something, cant access forum or update Ashita.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Yeah I made a temporary download for the latest...it will disappear as soon as ffvo is back up.

http://kile.dyndns.info:8765/bak/Ashita ... r_Full.zip