Changes to installation and building DSP projects

kjLotus
Special Guest

Changes to installation and building DSP projects

Post by kjLotus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:54 pm

As of r4394, DSP has been updated to v120 platform toolset. If you are using Visual Studio 2010 or 2012 to build the executables, you'll need to update to at least Visual Studio 2013 to continue to run or build the project. Visual Studio 2013 Express is free and should be sufficient.

Thanks for your support!

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Changes to installation and building DSP projects

Post by TeoTwawki » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Good bye old WinXP box.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

GraveNET

Post by GraveNET » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:52 am

Was there a specific reason for this change over? Better tools easier programming etc?

I'm not all that versed on all the different compilers yet. So this is really just a curious question.
I use windows 8 64bit so I'll do what I need to, to be able to compile but I know a lot of people despise some of the newer stuff :o

I'm a little behind on the forums since the holidays so I havent seen any warning out of the blue of a change this big,. Almost felt like an SE update o.O :)

-G

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:38 am

mostly just so we can actually use v120 toolset stuff (it's also more stable on v120 - see the "mount zhayolm crashes"). all of us used VS2013 already anyways

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 am

Is compiling from newer stuff and running the map server on an XP box an option? Hoping to buy some time before having to switch OS.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding

xipies

Post by xipies » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:58 am

Can MSBuild be used to build the project? Like a for a build server?

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 pm

forgottenandlost wrote:Is compiling from newer stuff and running the map server on an XP box an option? Hoping to buy some time before having to switch OS.
Depends on of you set the toolset to compile for v120_xp or not. If your server is compiled just with VS2013 on default settings, no the binaries will not work on Windows XP. You need to adjust the Toolset setting in the project properties til compile with XP compatibility.

Any reason you are still using XP though in the first place?
xipies wrote:Can MSBuild be used to build the project? Like a for a build server?
Yes, MSBuild comes with Visual Studio. You can do command line building with VS2013.

GraveNET

Post by GraveNET » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

atom0s wrote:
forgottenandlost wrote:Is compiling from newer stuff and running the map server on an XP box an option? Hoping to buy some time before having to switch OS.
Depends on of you set the toolset to compile for v120_xp or not. If your server is compiled just with VS2013 on default settings, no the binaries will not work on Windows XP. You need to adjust the Toolset setting in the project properties til compile with XP compatibility.

Any reason you are still using XP though in the first place?
xipies wrote:Can MSBuild be used to build the project? Like a for a build server?
Yes, MSBuild comes with Visual Studio. You can do command line building with VS2013.
Hey Atam0s,

Its my understanding that a lot of people are using older machines to run the server files themselves, as opposed to their main machines. A lot of those machines are, XP Home/Pro, Linux, or VMs that they have tweaked from even older systems. The people I have talked to in reference to this have the one concern that while their coding knowledge is limited they will not be able to function if there system isn't updated to match the requirements to run the new files.

Not to mention I think this just came as a shock to some, since it was a change out of the blue for them. Even if discussed within the developers forums. I dont think the general audience expected this surprise :(...

SURPRISE!! :) Hope everyone had a great holiday season!

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

atom0s wrote:Any reason you are still using XP though in the first place?
Server currently running on low end hardware and my preferred flavor of *nix not working with it. I am getting an upgrade but it's going to be at least a few months so making due with what I've got till then.

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:04 pm

As said, you can force it to compile with XP support in VS2013 still so it will run fine on it.