noob questions on server setup

Post Reply
Lothiriel
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 pm

noob questions on server setup

Post by Lothiriel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:42 pm

I've been following the darkstar guide for setting up a private server. My goal is to set up server + client on the same PC. I just want to play by myself - maybe with other people on the same network in the future. I am new to SQL so questions are probably stupid :P

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Buildi ... he_Servers

Two questions:
(1) Under the "Setting up the Database" section I'm a little unclear on the instructions. I set up the bat script as described, and the way I read it I can skip the Navicat stuff. I'm not sure where/when to put the "preserve character data" script - in the same DSP_Import.bat file at the end?? And if I skipped the Navicat stuff, do I skip the "Configure the ZoneIP" part as well?

(2) I went ahead and skipped those two pieces and built the servers, which worked (they compiled), then I configured them as described and ran them. How do I know they are actually up and running? The connect & game server.exes generated some pop-ups when I ran them that went away but there was no indication it was successful.. if I open the MySQL to monitor it, when the connect/game are started it shows 4 connections pop up. Running the search exe, the popup stays up and says something about "unknown database" and "can't connect".

I have not actually tried to set up the client side yet. I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before spending the many hours downloading/updating the client software.

Thanks

User avatar
whasf
Site Admin
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: noob questions on server setup

Post by whasf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Lothiriel wrote:I've been following the darkstar guide for setting up a private server. My goal is to set up server + client on the same PC. I just want to play by myself - maybe with other people on the same network in the future. I am new to SQL so questions are probably stupid :P

https://wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Buildi ... he_Servers

Two questions:
(1) Under the "Setting up the Database" section I'm a little unclear on the instructions. I set up the bat script as described, and the way I read it I can skip the Navicat stuff. I'm not sure where/when to put the "preserve character data" script - in the same DSP_Import.bat file at the end?? And if I skipped the Navicat stuff, do I skip the "Configure the ZoneIP" part as well?
Did you run the batch file? It sounds like you *created* it, but didn't *execute* it. The batch file does the work of importing the tables into your database.
Lothiriel wrote: (2) I went ahead and skipped those two pieces and built the servers, which worked (they compiled), then I configured them as described and ran them. How do I know they are actually up and running? The connect & game server.exes generated some pop-ups when I ran them that went away but there was no indication it was successful.. if I open the MySQL to monitor it, when the connect/game are started it shows 4 connections pop up. Running the search exe, the popup stays up and says something about "unknown database" and "can't connect".

I have not actually tried to set up the client side yet. I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before spending the many hours downloading/updating the client software.

Thanks
See #1, I don't think you imported the .sql files into the database.
-- Whasf

Lothiriel
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: noob questions on server setup

Post by Lothiriel » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh thanks, yes you're right, I didn't realize I had to run the batch script. So if I run the setup with the batch file and not Navicat, do I need to go through the steps under "Configure the ZoneIP for the Map Server"? I ask because it looks like that step requires Navicat, but I thought it said I wouldn't need Navicat if I ran setup with the batch file. Or do I just add the line it calls out to the batch file and that's equivalent? (UPDATE zone_settings SET zoneip = '127.0.0.1';)

User avatar
whasf
Site Admin
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: noob questions on server setup

Post by whasf » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:48 am

Lothiriel wrote:Oh thanks, yes you're right, I didn't realize I had to run the batch script. So if I run the setup with the batch file and not Navicat, do I need to go through the steps under "Configure the ZoneIP for the Map Server"? I ask because it looks like that step requires Navicat, but I thought it said I wouldn't need Navicat if I ran setup with the batch file. Or do I just add the line it calls out to the batch file and that's equivalent? (UPDATE zone_settings SET zoneip = '127.0.0.1';)
That IP setting only allows connections from the localhost (you are running the server on the same system your client is on). You need to configure the zoneIP for your external address if you want people from the Internet to connect to it.
-- Whasf

Lothiriel
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: noob questions on server setup

Post by Lothiriel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

That is what I'm doing, server + client on same machine. I skipped the "Configure the ZoneIP" thing and got it up and running, so I think I'm good to go. I have a ton of new questions about changing gameplay elements and such, but that doesn't belong here, so I will hop over to a different board. Thanks for the help.

Post Reply