Jug Pets Crash my Server :(

Bug reports go here: https://github.com/DarkstarProject/darkstar/issues

Just talk about them here please.
Forum rules
POST BUG REPORTS HERE: https://github.com/DarkstarProject/darkstar/issues

Try to keep the noise down on the reports on github, emails go out for every post on a bug report. :-)
NekoNinja

Jug Pets Crash my Server :(

Post by NekoNinja » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:44 pm

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but i can say I have not modified anything that has to do with the Call Beast ability.
For some reason when i use the call beast job ability it instantly crashes my the server. I thought maybe it was a pet that isn't set up yet so I started trying all of the pets under 75 and still crashes. the game server log doesn't show much aside from
[action info] CLIENT player PERFORMING ACTION 09 -- the server crashes at this point. it is my GM account and I did not do the BST job quest so Im not sure if that matters or not i job changed to BST with !changejob again not sure if this is just me or a bug

NekoNinja

Re: Jug Pets Crash my Server :(

Post by NekoNinja » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 pm

this is what i copied from visual studio if it matters

DSGame-server.exe has triggered a breakpoint. occurred

inline int32 CLuaBaseEntity::PrintToPlayer(lua_State* L)
{
DSP_DEBUG_BREAK_IF(m_PBaseEntity == nullptr);
DSP_DEBUG_BREAK_IF(m_PBaseEntity->objtype != TYPE_PC); X <---- there is a red dot with an X here

DSP_DEBUG_BREAK_IF(lua_isnil(L, 1) || !lua_isstring(L, 1));

CHAT_MESSAGE_TYPE messageType = (lua_isnil(L, 2) || !lua_isnumber(L, 2)) ? MESSAGE_SYSTEM_1 : (CHAT_MESSAGE_TYPE)lua_tointeger(L, 2);
std::string name = (lua_isnil(L, 3) || !lua_isstring(L, 3)) ? std::string() : lua_tostring(L, 3);

((CCharEntity*)m_PBaseEntity)->pushPacket(new CChatMessagePacket((CCharEntity*)m_PBaseEntity, messageType, (char*)lua_tostring(L, 1), name));
return 0;
}

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:36 am

I am guessing that you are printing something to the player when they call a jug pet? That is "crashing" (it's actually a debug break) because the object type isn't a PC (Player Character)
-- Whasf

NekoNinja

Post by NekoNinja » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:49 am

That's weird I didnt add any print to player to it I have some gm commands with print to player messages and a couple NPCs in the town's I added print to player to serve as dialogue. Can I edit the baseentity file and delete the lines causing the problem? Also when I built the server I made 2 copys of the DSP source so I had a clean copy too I tried dragging those files from the clean version over and replacing the baseentity files and it didnt work either

NekoNinja

Post by NekoNinja » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 pm

Whasf if you read this can you reply that this was the correct action to take.

I tried some more stuff and it was still crashing. I tried messing with it in visual studio and no luck so this is what I did

I right clicked my darkstar folder and used tortise git and clicked pull then I went into visual studio and clicked rebuild for the servers.

and it worked... lol i really dont understand what i did but im happy it worked I was under the impression that if you do a pull and rebuild you lose all of your character data and stuff but i didnt. when I logged in i tried call beast, activate, and summon they all worked and things are fine now

thank you for your assistance it facilitated me trying to figure it out and i was able to fix it by accident I guess lol