Holidays 2014 contest

User avatar
whasf
Site Admin
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Holidays 2014 contest

Post by whasf » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:38 pm

In an attempt to spur more code contributions outside of kjLotus', I have decided to run a contest.

The winner will get a $500 gift card at newegg.com
(If the winner is outside the US, or really doesn't want it from newegg, we can negotiate the site)

Some rules:
  • The code contribution must be 'retail-like'. Meaning the behavior of the code must emulate retail 100%
  • The code must conform to the current 'standards' regarding structure, tabs, etc
  • The code must be of good quality. Don't make us refactor or rewrite. If you have to ask us how to do something, you probably should go back and become more familiar with the existing codebase
  • Don't try to sneak any back doors or malicious code by us. You will be immediately disqualified and banned
  • These rules are subject to change
  • The winner will be decided by me, with input from the other major contributors
    - The contributions by the voters will not be weighed as heavily, but they are eligible
You can get bonus points for completing the following (things that need to be worked on):
  • Navmesh maps for the remaining zones (West Ronfaure is done, look at it for an example, there is documentation on the forums how to do it)
  • Beseiged AI full implementation
  • NPC fellow AI full implementation
  • 100% completion of PUP (automation AI)
  • 100% completion of rank missions across all nations
  • Verify Conquest system 100% working across all applicable zones
  • Garrison 100% completion
  • Mog house effects 100%
  • Plant growing system 100%
When does it end and you pick a winner?
- December 27 2014
Last edited by whasf on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update
-- Whasf

User avatar
demolish
Developer
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 am

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by demolish » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:46 pm

don't forget chocobo raising!
<Giblet[NewBrain]> kj with this first step would be fine on my shit
Click here for a guide on scripting missions.

dacrybabysuck
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by dacrybabysuck » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:40 pm

I need no reward and will gladly spend every waking moment working on navmeshes. I'm still confused on how to export the maps properly. Is there documentation somewhere on how to do that? I thought I read through the entire forum post on it, but it didn't seem like there were clear instructions on what to do. It's been so long since I've contributed anything and really want to help! I'll reading to see if I can find anything else. Thanks in advance for any new information!

User avatar
atom0s
Developer
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by atom0s » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:54 pm

dacrybabysuck wrote:I need no reward and will gladly spend every waking moment working on navmeshes. I'm still confused on how to export the maps properly. Is there documentation somewhere on how to do that? I thought I read through the entire forum post on it, but it didn't seem like there were clear instructions on what to do. It's been so long since I've contributed anything and really want to help! I'll reading to see if I can find anything else. Thanks in advance for any new information!
Join the FFEvo IRC and poke at RZN. He's the one that got the exporting done first so he should be able to give you some hints/tips on what to do.

Server: irc.ffevo.net
Channel: #fface

You can tell him that I sent you there to talk with him so he doesn't just assume you randomly joined and started begging for info lol.

User avatar
whasf
Site Admin
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by whasf » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Winner List!: https://github.com/DarkstarProject/dark ... -27&type=c

1st place: KJLotus (teschnei) $500
2nd place: TeoTwawki $100
3rd place (tie): korietsu and gedads $50 each

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone for contributing either code or comments/bug reports. This project can only get better and move forward when everyone chips in!

Winners, I will be contacting you (or throw me a message) and I will get your prizes to you.
-- Whasf

kernel

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by kernel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Grats KJ! I knew you can doooo eettt! I don't care what they say about you. (kidding)

I'm curious how many other servers contribute. Do developers jump on other servers and find things implemented that they currently do not have? I know its natural for most people to be selfish in things they implemented on their own server but it's not fair to DSP who gave them the opportunity in the first place. I believe every server should share and give back as much as they can. We're all a team here and should work together. If I was a judge, I'd punish other servers for not contributing for things they have working lol. *Hulk Smash*

User avatar
atom0s
Developer
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by atom0s » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:34 pm

kernel wrote:Grats KJ! I knew you can doooo eettt! I don't care what they say about you. (kidding)

I'm curious how many other servers contribute. Do developers jump on other servers and find things implemented that they currently do not have? I know its natural for most people to be selfish in things they implemented on their own server but it's not fair to DSP who gave them the opportunity in the first place. I believe every server should share and give back as much as they can. We're all a team here and should work together. If I was a judge, I'd punish other servers for not contributing for things they have working lol. *Hulk Smash*
Right now we have two servers that are actively contributing anything to the project. Those being:
- LegionXI
- Nasomi

Legion, being new, is very active in contributing all kinds of stuff lately. Their team of developers are very open to working with the DSP project.
Nasomi has been an active contributor for a while now, as well as a 'beta tester' of sorts for the newer ZMQ stuff.

Other servers that we know about are more interested in making money off our project than contributing back to it.

Legion has been very nice to share their retail-like content so far and plans to contribute a lot more in the near future. Servers like this are what we enjoy seeing. Helping the project grow as a whole rather then being selfish and looking for an easy dollar from a project they had nothing to do with etc.

User avatar
TeoTwawki
Developer
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by TeoTwawki » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:22 am

Wow, I didn't think I'd win anything. I wasn't even trying I been slacking off lately. Didn't know github had those handy lil graphs till now.

I have a thought to share regarding encouraging new contributors.

Those donation servers typically give people some kind of in game reward. I'd very much like to see servers operators that reward players that happen to play on their server and happen to make a pull request for something that gets merged into DarkStar, rather than reward players that give them "donation" money. That might expand the minion pool a bit, encourage people to learn at least. I know most FFXI players aren't experienced with this sort of thing, but a lot of stuff is easy to learn. Even fixing a an ID that got missed or a typo somewhere helps.

My first contribution was just fixing a spot where someone had the wrong stat called in a script, and I knew zero lua before that. I initially decided to start contributing in order to learn lua, and now I love it.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Code: Select all

PLS USE [code]CODE TAGS[/code] WHEN POSTING CODE
Image
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

User avatar
atom0s
Developer
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by atom0s » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:23 pm

forgottenandlost wrote:Wow, I didn't think I'd win anything. I wasn't even trying I been slacking off lately. Didn't know github had those handy lil graphs till now.

I have a thought to share regarding encouraging new contributors.

Those donation servers typically give people some kind of in game reward. I'd very much like to see servers operators that reward players that happen to play on their server and happen to make a pull request for something that gets merged into DarkStar, rather than reward players that give them "donation" money. That might expand the minion pool a bit, encourage people to learn at least. I know most FFXI players aren't experienced with this sort of thing, but a lot of stuff is easy to learn. Even fixing a an ID that got missed or a typo somewhere helps.

My first contribution was just fixing a spot where someone had the wrong stat called in a script, and I knew zero lua before that. I initially decided to start contributing in order to learn lua, and now I love it.
Sadly, it'll never happen with the servers that expect donations.

One of them is run by someone that is taking the money so they don't have to get a job. It was already proven they were stealing from the donations once, and I'm sure they are still doing it now due how they are. It's not going to change either. Until that server is gone, they will always pocket the donations.

Another one that we are aware of is in the same boat. However, they claim donations are for server costs when their server is hosted at one of their houses. Meaning there is no cast. They are pocketing 100% of the donations for profit.

User avatar
Vivitaru
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:35 am
Location: Canada

Re: Holidays 2014 contest

Post by Vivitaru » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:44 pm

One of them is selling items and they refer it as donations which isn't really in my opinion, i'm sure if SE wanted to, they could cause them some serious trouble. Do these "donation" servers even contribute at all?

Post Reply